Law School Discussion

Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2006, 04:57:08 PM »
I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

I think its fascinating that someone who chose to live in DC finds Chicago a dying city

and considers Philly crime prone... :-\

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2006, 07:23:27 AM »
I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

I think its fascinating that someone who chose to live in DC finds Chicago a dying city

and considers Philly crime prone... :-\

yea, lol. DC is an empty husk of a city...there are what, 2-3 neighborhoods in the district that are reasonable to live in and the rest is a war zone?

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »
Considering Yale is an advertised 1h30 train ride away from NYC, it should get consideration if you want to be in a big city. As for Stanford, I understand. It's far far far away

I don't know. I'm not considering Yale, primarily based on location. New Haven really sucks. It's not just not a city, it's a really lousy place. Being 90 min away from the city sounds better than it is, I think. Part of the attraction of being in a city for me at least is having everything at your fingertips when you have an hour or two free. If you are 90 min away, you need at least an entire day free (and $18) to go there...that kind of time is hard to come by. A 90 min train ride is close enough that you can tell yourself that you can go easily go to the city, but far enough away that you almost never will. To a lesser extent, same goes for Stanford. 45 min from San Francisco (as cool as San Francisco is) is completely different from being in a city. That said, I am applying to Stanford because, to me, Palo Alto is a little more palatable than New Haven...at least the weather is nice.
A more practical issue is this: I have a better chance of getting into Harvard than Stanford or Yale. If I would go to Harvard over either, applying to the others may not be so worthwhile. For me to go to Stanford, I'd have to get in but not get into Harvard (unlikely) and *maybe* not get into Chicago and Columbia as well (almost impossible.) 

After living in Chicago most of my life, New Haven definitely sucked. It's dirty and ugly outside the Yale campus and it's almost impossible being a female to walk down the street without getting dirty glances or being wistled at. And you are right living 90 minutes away from the city is almost like living really far away. The only reason I'm applying to Yale is on the offchance that I get in and my husband can't find a job in or near Chicago or NYC.

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 12:15:24 PM »
I wouldn't consider any of the California schools, only because I don't think that I could be that far away from my family and friends, and I only know a few people on the west coast.  I'm not applying to Chicago or Northwestern either, for sort of the same reason.  Also, I don't think I could get into NW without work experience, and U of Chicago doesn't really appeal to me. 

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 01:05:51 PM »
Stanford was never an option for me.  It's on the wrong coast.  I probably never would have chosen Columbia over NYU.  Still, I applied to Columbia and Stanford.  So it goes.

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »
Stanford was never an option for me.  It's on the wrong coast.  I probably never would have chosen Columbia over NYU.  Still, I applied to Columbia and Stanford.  So it goes.

I am looking at both Columbia and NYU...why did you prefer NYU? I'm especially curious since you are at HLS...isn't Columbia closer in environment?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 03:15:11 PM »

I am looking at both Columbia and NYU...why did you prefer NYU? I'm especially curious since you are at HLS...isn't Columbia closer in environment?

I'm a philosophy guy.  I think Dworkin is amazing.  Once Waldron left CLS, it was a no brainer.  CLS is in decline, see the "Columbia's LSAT continues to climb" thread for more.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 09:00:51 PM »
Stanford was never an option for me.  It's on the wrong coast.

The Northeast is dying, man.  I'm surprised you didn't know that. 

Agreed. The west coast is the best coast.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 12:20:23 AM »
This coastal preference stuff is pretty dumb. People need to get out and see the rest of the country, especially when you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to spend three years in a completely different city with little to no strings attached.

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »
It is pretty interesting to see that the majority of people on this string are intent on staying Urban. While I totally understand the desire to be in a major city like DC and NYC, I could not pass up the opportunity to live and learn in a beautiful area at an incredible school. I love cities, but cannot stand the congestion and headaches. Law school will a headache enough, the last I need is to deal with enormous living expenses and crappy traffic.

Would choose UVA over most schools any day of the week (Harvard, and Stanford being the exception).

In regards to the coast thing, that is just silly.