Law School Discussion

Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?

Towelie

• View Profile
Re: Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 09:28:19 PM »
I'm probably a black sheep in this respect, but i would probably not go to Columbia just because I'm not too fond of NY or Harlem. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to visit, but living in NY is just something i probably wouldn't do. The neighborhood close to columbia looks kind of scary...

I actually agree with you. Well, not that I'm scared by NYC or Harlem or anything, but that I was never really considering NYU or Columbia either. They are both such great schools but I just don't like NYC that much - especially on a student budget. For instance, as crazy as it might sound, I probably would have chosen Northwestern over Columbia/NYU if I had to choice, just because I think I'd enjoy Chicago that much more. You are the blacksheep on this board, but no in the country in general.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2006, 07:28:33 AM »
I'm not applying to anywhere West of Chicago, because that's just too far.  Even though I'm applying to Chicago, Northwestern and U Mich, I'd really prefer to stay on the East Coast.  For me, that includes the Southeast.  I also wouldn't apply to Cornell because its just too damn cold.

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2006, 07:59:26 AM »
I'm not applying to anywhere West of Chicago, because that's just too far.  Even though I'm applying to Chicago, Northwestern and U Mich, I'd really prefer to stay on the East Coast.  For me, that includes the Southeast.  I also wouldn't apply to Cornell because its just too damn cold.

If cold is what is keeping you from Cornell, you might want to reconsider. I went to undergrad at Cornell and live in Ann Arbor now and have spent time in Chicago in the winter. In my opinion, Ithaca is the least cold of the 3 cities. All are damn cold (i just checked, and their average monthly high/lows are about indentical for winter), but Ithaca's cold is a little more bearable. In the midwest, the cold seems much more biting...painful, even. Winters on the east coast are much warmer. If you are going to apply to the midwest schools, why not Cornell just to have it as an option?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2006, 08:43:51 AM »

If cold is what is keeping you from Cornell, you might want to reconsider. I went to undergrad at Cornell and live in Ann Arbor now and have spent time in Chicago in the winter. In my opinion, Ithaca is the least cold of the 3 cities. All are damn cold (i just checked, and their average monthly high/lows are about indentical for winter), but Ithaca's cold is a little more bearable. In the midwest, the cold seems much more biting...painful, even. Winters on the east coast are much warmer. If you are going to apply to the midwest schools, why not Cornell just to have it as an option?

It's not just the cold that's keeping me out of Cornell, Ithaca just does not appeal to me.  Cornell doesn't particularly appeal to me either.  Nothing short of a full ride (and maybe not even then) would be enough to get me to Cornell.

second_chance

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2006, 08:50:50 AM »
i read a big article recently about how chicago (of all the old-industry cities) has managed to revitalize itself and is on the rise.  apparently other cities are looking to chicago as a model... article was in the economist.  i think you would be crazy to pass up C or Penn for GULC, unless you planned to work while in school.

I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »
Wow, people really hate the cold.
I'd much stay rather in the Northeast myself. Good thing all the ivy leagues are there.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2006, 08:38:55 AM »
Considering Yale is an advertised 1h30 train ride away from NYC, it should get consideration if you want to be in a big city. As for Stanford, I understand. It's far far far away

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:54 AM »
Considering Yale is an advertised 1h30 train ride away from NYC, it should get consideration if you want to be in a big city. As for Stanford, I understand. It's far far far away

I don't know. I'm not considering Yale, primarily based on location. New Haven really sucks. It's not just not a city, it's a really lousy place. Being 90 min away from the city sounds better than it is, I think. Part of the attraction of being in a city for me at least is having everything at your fingertips when you have an hour or two free. If you are 90 min away, you need at least an entire day free (and $18) to go there...that kind of time is hard to come by. A 90 min train ride is close enough that you can tell yourself that you can go easily go to the city, but far enough away that you almost never will. To a lesser extent, same goes for Stanford. 45 min from San Francisco (as cool as San Francisco is) is completely different from being in a city. That said, I am applying to Stanford because, to me, Palo Alto is a little more palatable than New Haven...at least the weather is nice.
A more practical issue is this: I have a better chance of getting into Harvard than Stanford or Yale. If I would go to Harvard over either, applying to the others may not be so worthwhile. For me to go to Stanford, I'd have to get in but not get into Harvard (unlikely) and *maybe* not get into Chicago and Columbia as well (almost impossible.) 

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2006, 04:04:23 AM »
I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

I think its fascinating that someone who chose to live in DC finds Chicago a dying city

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2006, 03:51:43 PM »
NYU, nothing about it interests me.