Law School Discussion

Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?

Re: Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »
Vapid you now understand why we northern Californians would love to split the state and take our water with us. Your description applies almost entirely to the southern half of the state.

Greater Los Angeles is one of the worst major metro areas to live in and the San Joaquin Valley is as hellish as they get. The Mojave, Sonoran, and Colorado deserts are also pretty but desolate. Still all of these areas combined are about a third of the state.

awesome1

• real ninjas go to law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 02:27:24 PM »
Anything west of the East Coast (excluding Notre Dame, because they are specialer than Rudy himself) or south of DC

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
I would never apply to Berkeley (sp?) for anything in the world.  Many reasons for this, mostly political. 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »
I would never apply to Berkeley (sp?) for anything in the world.  Many reasons for this, mostly political. 

im the opposite.  although their idealism to the point of being uinreal might get annoying.

and im sure Yale is a good school, but who wants to live in Connecticut?

ugh

Sooner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 03:44:24 PM »

And I'm trying to get out of Texas to get away from your (and the overwhelming majority's) political influence and aura. Needless to say, my race is not "Texan." Being a liberal in Houston is painful. That's the thing about Texas...it is its own country, and it seems most people here are born and raised in Texas. It's rare to encounter a divergent perspective. It's Bush, guns, self-interest, mega-churches (tributes to what?), and moralizing. Houston will add 70 minute commutes and the world's worst mix of drivers to all that each morning and evening. And the weather is great as long as you like it hot and humid 9 months of the year. Of course, Big Law here pays almost as much as NYC Big Law, with fewer hours. And if you make $140K/year here, you can pretty much buy a palace as a house. Oh, there is no state income tax, either.

Alas, there is no perfect place.

I have only briefly considered Yale. I know it's #1 in the rankings, but Harvard is easier to get into and is #1 in my heart. If I would choose Harvard over Yale (assuming my numbers were good enough to get into either), why apply to Yale? Same goes for Stanford. Arbitrary admissions decisions and no scholarship money = wasted application fees. Y and S just don't do much for me.

wannaB1L

• Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »
no

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 04:23:45 PM »

I have only briefly considered Yale. I know it's #1 in the rankings, but Harvard is easier to get into and is #1 in my heart. If I would choose Harvard over Yale (assuming my numbers were good enough to get into either), why apply to Yale? Same goes for Stanford. Arbitrary admissions decisions and no scholarship money = wasted application fees. Y and S just don't do much for me.

I'm with you regarding Yale. I'd much rather go to Harvard (I don't think I could handle 3 years in New Haven), and I can't imagine getting into Yale but not Harvard. Even though I want to be in a city (also not applying to Michigan, UVA, Cornell, or Duke), I am applying to Stanford...I may not enjoy Palo Alto, but at least the weather is nice and there are lots of great weekend trips to be had.

Political differences, while important, aren't enough to make me not apply to a certain school. I'm sure you can find some like-minded people anywhere...you certainly can't make NYC out of Durham, though :)

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »

And I'm trying to get out of Texas to get away from your (and the overwhelming majority's) political influence and aura. Needless to say, my race is not "Texan." Being a liberal in Houston is painful. That's the thing about Texas...it is its own country, and it seems most people here are born and raised in Texas. It's rare to encounter a divergent perspective. It's Bush, guns, self-interest, mega-churches (tributes to what?), and moralizing. Houston will add 70 minute commutes and the world's worst mix of drivers to all that each morning and evening. And the weather is great as long as you like it hot and humid 9 months of the year. Of course, Big Law here pays almost as much as NYC Big Law, with fewer hours. And if you make $140K/year here, you can pretty much buy a palace as a house. Oh, there is no state income tax, either.

Alas, there is no perfect place.

Hah, what is bad about self-interest?  Do I have to pull out my Rand quotes?

Texas is hot, and 140K would go far, but the rest of that is not really true.  I've lived here for 10 years, and there are plenty of different perspectives (unless your social circle includes only the mayor of Sugar Land and his housekeeper.)  I don't know anybody who goes to "mega-churches," and my dad commutes ten minutes to work. 

As for Harvard and Yale, I'm kind of with you.  If I got into every law school in the country  (:D), I would almost definitely go to Harvard above Yale. 

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »
Hah, what is bad about self-interest?  Do I have to pull out my Rand quotes?

Citing Ayn Rand as authority only makes people look foolish and absurd, and none of us want that.  :)

:P

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 08:55:41 PM »
I'm probably a black sheep in this respect, but i would probably not go to Columbia just because I'm not too fond of NY or Harlem. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to visit, but living in NY is just something i probably wouldn't do. The neighborhood close to columbia looks kind of scary...