Law School Discussion

Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?

Re: Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2006, 01:06:37 AM »
I am surprised people don't like Stanford's location - as someone from Northern California I think it is the perfect place to live!

It's all a matter of taste.  I've lived close enough to Palo Alto to know that I hate the traffic, hate spending thousands to rent a shack, and hate not be able to spend my spare time doing what I like.

On the other hand, lots of people think there's nothing to do in Durham (for example).

Most Stanford Law students live on campus which helps on the housing price (and after 2009 almost all will: new law dorm). But anyway...Cornell is a school I am not applying to, even though Ithaca is supposed to be "Gorges"

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2006, 06:17:38 AM »
If I were coming right out of undergraduate, I would have said no... I'd be willing to pick up and move anywhere.  However, with a husband in tow, we have to think a lot more carefully about finances and about his professional opportunities.  We don't want to be in any of the most expensive cities (DC, NY, Boston, LA, SF) while we're trying to live on a single income.

« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2006, 08:07:15 AM »
All of them that are not in the southeast.  My new baby's grandparents would have my head.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:38 AM »
I am surprised people don't like Stanford's location - as someone from Northern California I think it is the perfect place to live!

It's all a matter of taste.  I've lived close enough to Palo Alto to know that I hate the traffic, hate spending thousands to rent a shack, and hate not be able to spend my spare time doing what I like.

On the other hand, lots of people think there's nothing to do in Durham (for example).

Most Stanford Law students live on campus which helps on the housing price (and after 2009 almost all will: new law dorm). But anyway...Cornell is a school I am not applying to, even though Ithaca is supposed to be "Gorges"

syanford - even for adults with pets?

« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2006, 09:42:08 AM »

syanford - even for adults with pets?

By dorms, I don't mean the cubicle you have during your freshman year. They are basically apartments on campus. Although technically its not allowed, a lot of  people do have a dog or a cat.

« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
I won't be considering NYU or Columbia even though they are both wonderful schools. I just don't want to live in New York City, and neither does my fiance. I wouldn't want my kids spending part of their childhood there.