Law School Discussion

Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?

dividebyzero

• Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »
I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

I am not offended that you don't like Chicago...to each his own. However, to call it a dying city is just flat wrong. In the last 10 years, Chicago has made just as much progress as NYC. It is clean, financially sound, and has a solid plan for the future by working towards being the most environmentally sound city in the US (with very visible progress), including drawing manufacturers of alternative energy products. Building owners are getting tax cuts to create green roofs...planting gardens on the rooftops to save on energy costs and absorb rain runoff. Construction is booming...when you look at the skyline from the lakefront, almost every building is sparkling and new. Under construction is the new Trump tower that will be the 2nd tallest in the country (after Sears Tower in Chicago), and soon to be built is the Fordham Spire, a 2000 foot monster that will dwarf even the new "Freedom Tower" in NYC. Even the traditional "bad" areas of the city are being cleaned up and gentrifying. Again, Chicago is not for everyone...it is damn cold during the winters, for example...but "dying" is simply not an accurate descriptor.

Okay, I apologize for offering the "dying city" description, perhaps I should've been more specific. Maybe it's plain ignorance on my part, but I can't think of any economic or specific market areas in which Chicago specializes other than the commodity exchanges and *maybe* shipping. I was under the impression that Chicago, having been a major manufacturing city, was facing the same general economic decline as the rest of the Rust Belt. Comparatively, New York has international finance, publishing, media, etc; Los Angeles has the Pacific Rim and Asia, Miami and Houston have Latin America, etc.

Also, I'm hesitant to use any of Trump's projects as an economic barometer, just look at Baltimore and Atlantic City. In any case, I'm sure you're right, and it's been a couple of years since I've last been to Chi-town, but I just don't know.

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:21:12 AM »
I applied but never even seriously considered Virginia. I think it's a fantastic law school and I hear it is quite fun, but I couldn't imagine living in rural Virginia for 3 years. As a result, I withdrew from them pretty early in the cycle (after I got my Georgetown admit and they deferred me.) But I would consider it in that if it was the only T14 I got into, I probably would have gone there over UCLA or USC.

UGH, i Hate Charlottesville!

Why for?

after 20+ yrs in VA, i just cant stand the state.  The only part i consider even remotly livable is the areas near DC...

Your home state is a very odd place...
I've lived in the area for four years now, and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
I applied but never even seriously considered Virginia. I think it's a fantastic law school and I hear it is quite fun, but I couldn't imagine living in rural Virginia for 3 years. As a result, I withdrew from them pretty early in the cycle (after I got my Georgetown admit and they deferred me.) But I would consider it in that if it was the only T14 I got into, I probably would have gone there over UCLA or USC.

UGH, i Hate Charlottesville!

Why for?

after 20+ yrs in VA, i just cant stand the state.  The only part i consider even remotly livable is the areas near DC...

Your home state is a very odd place...
I've lived in the area for four years now, and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

the south starts either in Prince William or just south of it.

its an interesting mix in the dc area.

the rest of the state is just black/white and way to racial.

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »

I had a feeling that the rest of the state was "racial" in one way or another. Whether it's the de facto public segregation I've seen throughout the state, or places like Virginia Beach that have gone out of their way to actually import more expensive Eastern European laborers just so they wouldn't have to hire Latinos, and the uncanny ratio of parochial schools to public schools, the creepy OBSESSION with the Confederacy and the legacy of Robert E. Lee, the state is just to effing weird and backwards for me.

"Washington and Lee University"?! How the HELL do those two names even belong together?

Bear in mind, I'm a *Texan* and I'm saying Virginia is too bizarre.  ???

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:50 AM »

Okay, I apologize for offering the "dying city" description, perhaps I should've been more specific. Maybe it's plain ignorance on my part, but I can't think of any economic or specific market areas in which Chicago specializes other than the commodity exchanges and *maybe* shipping. I was under the impression that Chicago, having been a major manufacturing city, was facing the same general economic decline as the rest of the Rust Belt. Comparatively, New York has international finance, publishing, media, etc; Los Angeles has the Pacific Rim and Asia, Miami and Houston have Latin America, etc.

Also, I'm hesitant to use any of Trump's projects as an economic barometer, just look at Baltimore and Atlantic City. In any case, I'm sure you're right, and it's been a couple of years since I've last been to Chi-town, but I just don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago#Economy

Some excerpts:

"Chicago has the third largest gross metropolitan product in the nation - approximately $390 billion.[23] The city has also been rated as having the most balanced economy in the United States due to its high level of diversification.[24]"

"In addition, despite Chicago commonly being perceived as a rust-belt city, a study indicated that Chicago has the largest high-technology and information-technology industry employment in the United States.[25]"

Touché regarding Trump...it is a sweet building though :)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »

I had a feeling that the rest of the state was "racial" in one way or another. Whether it's the de facto public segregation I've seen throughout the state, or places like Virginia Beach that have gone out of their way to actually import more expensive Eastern European laborers just so they wouldn't have to hire Latinos, and the uncanny ratio of parochial schools to public schools, the creepy OBSESSION with the Confederacy and the legacy of Robert E. Lee, the state is just to effing weird and backwards for me.

"Washington and Lee University"?! How the HELL do those two names even belong together?

Ive been thinking texas might not be a bad place.

a bit conservatives, but the babes are hot and enhanced and lotsa newdie bars.

oh and ok weather and cheap COL...

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:52 AM »
I didn't apply to NYU, Columbia, Chicago, or Northwesten of the T14.  I hate big cities and don't want a campus that is in the middle of one.  Same reasoning for ditching BU.  I wouldn't apply to any school South of North Carolina, or southwest of Chicago.

im almost the exact opposite.

i need a big city, and cant stand the cold.
ugh, i know im going to end up somehwere cold though....

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 10:52:31 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago#Economy

Some excerpts:

"Chicago has the third largest gross metropolitan product in the nation - approximately $390 billion.[23] The city has also been rated as having the most balanced economy in the United States due to its high level of diversification.[24]"

"In addition, despite Chicago commonly being perceived as a rust-belt city, a study indicated that Chicago has the largest high-technology and information-technology industry employment in the United States.[25]"

Touché regarding Trump...it is a sweet building though :)

Wow, doesn't get any more specific than that  :D. Methinks I've judged the Second City too quickly...

Ive been thinking texas might not be a bad place.

a bit conservatives, but the babes are hot and enhanced and lotsa newdie bars.

oh and ok weather and cheap COL...

Austin is a *very* liberal city, liberl to the point where it rivals places like Seattle and San Francisco. It's always been one of my favorite cities in the country, too. Very eco-friendly, the home of Whole Foods, one of the top 5 live music venues in the country, plus the massive University of Texas campus and its students make for a very
laid back and lively town.

Can't say thatfor the rest of Texas, though, as Austin is a very curious anomaly in an otherwise very red state. San Antonio is more moderate-to-left than anything, Dallas has some liberal enclaves but is overall moderate-to-conservative, and Houston is pretty much entirely conservative.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
Austin is just so dinky though...

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »
Austin is just so dinky though...

Tis' true, and also my main discouragement to returning. If you're not doing IP, or aren't in some other way connected to IT or medical research, you can forget working in Austin and making a decent living. It's too bad, but by all rights, the city is doing a lot better than should've been expected.