Law School Discussion

Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?

->Soon

• View Profile
Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:58:05 AM »
Assuming you had what it takes to get in....

I couldnt imagine going to any schools north of Philly.  too COLD!!!!

and even that far north is pushing it!

dividebyzero

• Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are there any top ranked schools you wouldnt even consider?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:00:56 AM »
I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:01:33 AM »
I applied but never even seriously considered Virginia. I think it's a fantastic law school and I hear it is quite fun, but I couldn't imagine living in rural Virginia for 3 years. As a result, I withdrew from them pretty early in the cycle (after I got my Georgetown admit and they deferred me.) But I would consider it in that if it was the only T14 I got into, I probably would have gone there over UCLA or USC.

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »
I applied but never even seriously considered Virginia. I think it's a fantastic law school and I hear it is quite fun, but I couldn't imagine living in rural Virginia for 3 years. As a result, I withdrew from them pretty early in the cycle (after I got my Georgetown admit and they deferred me.) But I would consider it in that if it was the only T14 I got into, I probably would have gone there over UCLA or USC.

I withdrew my app from UVa, too, for similar reasons. I loved the campus and the people there, but it was simply too rural for me to consider. Now, had UVa a good int'l program, I'd have reconsidered. That tends to be a dealbreaker for me.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:07:53 AM »

UGH, i Hate Charlottesville!

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:09:27 AM »

Why for?

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
I don't think I'd have ever considered U Penn, U Chicago or Northwestern, because I happen to think Philadelphia (crime-ridden) and Chicago (dying city) suck, and would suck even more to live in for a prolonged period of time.

No offense to those who are from the two towns, I just don't like them at all.

Hell, I can't even stand D.C., but I'm going to Georgetown for their international law credentials and their clinics.

I am not offended that you don't like Chicago...to each his own. However, to call it a dying city is just flat wrong. In the last 10 years, Chicago has made just as much progress as NYC. It is clean, financially sound, and has a solid plan for the future by working towards being the most environmentally sound city in the US (with very visible progress), including drawing manufacturers of alternative energy products. Building owners are getting tax cuts to create green roofs...planting gardens on the rooftops to save on energy costs and absorb rain runoff. Construction is booming...when you look at the skyline from the lakefront, almost every building is sparkling and new. Under construction is the new Trump tower that will be the 2nd tallest in the country (after Sears Tower in Chicago), and soon to be built is the Fordham Spire, a 2000 foot monster that will dwarf even the new "Freedom Tower" in NYC. Even the traditional "bad" areas of the city are being cleaned up and gentrifying. Again, Chicago is not for everyone...it is damn cold during the winters, for example...but "dying" is simply not an accurate descriptor.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 10:11:36 AM »

I withdrew my app from UVa, too, for similar reasons. I loved the campus and the people there, but it was simply too rural for me to consider. Now, had UVa a good int'l program, I'd have reconsidered. That tends to be a dealbreaker for me.

Isn't their International Law program top 10?

dividebyzero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:12:24 AM »

Isn't their International Law program top 10?

Yes, but why go Top 10 when you can go top 3?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »

Why for?

after 20+ yrs in VA, i just cant stand the state.  The only part i consider even remotly livable is the areas near DC...