Law School Discussion

MPP/MPA Programs

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MPP/MPA Programs
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »
I guess I'm curious: what kinds of jobs are you after with a JD/MPP? I'm vaguely interested in international law, but if I got into it I'd rather try to find a nonprofit/NGO job than a biglaw one (money and job prospects be damned!). I'm wondering whether a second degree would open those doors...

NClawdad

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 07:56:01 PM »
I guess I'm curious: what kinds of jobs are you after with a JD/MPP? I'm vaguely interested in international law, but if I got into it I'd rather try to find a nonprofit/NGO job than a biglaw one (money and job prospects be damned!). I'm wondering whether a second degree would open those doors...

I recently had a candid conversation with someone high in the administration of my school who is getting their MPA, mostly because it is being paid for by the University (he is an assoc. vice chanc.). I told him of about my career goals, mainly that I was interested in doing land use/environmental/zoning stuff, and he completely convinced me to forego the MPA. He said that it was useful to him because he was already doing PA work, so it provided some clarity. The JD will open all the doors that an MPA/MPP will open, and then some.

One thing useful that I have done is to search the websites of local firms and read the bio's. I found that finding a joint MPP/JD or MPA/JD on the roster was very rare. As this official told me, don't clutter up your plan with unnecessary steps and don't go any farther into debt than you have to.

If you want to be an administrator of a non-profit or gov. agency, you won't necessarily benefit from the dual degree. I will get my MPA (I am taking some courses now, as I am a University employee and get them for free), only if it is completely financed by someone else, preferably an executive MPA after I am in practice.

I, because of my interest in land use/zoning, am going to work toward a certificate in GIS. That may end up being more valuable to me than an MPA ever would be.

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 09:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I guess I've heard of the divide between "education" and "credentialing," but I'm still at the point where I'm clawing madly for any reason at all to prolong my schooling -- it's what I'm used to, etc. etc. I'm glad at least that most dual degree programs I may decide to pursue give you until the end of your first year to apply.

jalong

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 08:51:35 PM »
That assumes you already possess the knowledge an MPP/MPA program would teach you. While that is true for some people, it may not be true for everyone.

Do you mean to tell me that people go to school to learn stuff, not just get a piece of paper? My mind is blown.

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »
bump