Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low GPA...address this?  (Read 1959 times)

kslaw

• View Profile
Low GPA...address this?
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:37:12 PM »
My undergrad GPA was 2.99 in Sociology. freshman year, 3.5, that summer, pretty serious car accident, traumatic brain injury, doctors recommended i withdraw from school but i refused. i ended up with 1.9 to 2.4 for the next four semesters (memory, cognitive abilities, etc, greatly affected). did have some therapy in that time to relearn how to learn and have fully recovered now. last year of school, 3.5, final semester, all A's.

Should I address this ? If so, how and where? I'm afraid that if I don't, they'll look at my GPA and assume the worst, or that my transcripts will list the TBI status and they will not be aware that I have fully recovered.

any thoughts?

thanks.

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
Re: Low GPA...address this?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:44:22 PM »
Definately mention something in your applications. If not in your personal statement then at least through an addendum attached to your applications.

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 05:40:10 PM »
Thank you. I would like to mention it in my personal statement. the injury and subsequent therapies largely changed my skill set and influenced my career path. However, mentioning this in the personal statement could leave the impression that I am either making excuses or trying to appeal to their sympathies. What do you think? Think it's okay to address it as long as it's not a whining, pity-me tone?

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 06:02:26 PM »
I think this is an appropriate thing to make an excuse for.  Life dealt you a crappy hand, and you made the best of it.  I would definitely address it in your personal statement.  Congrats on your progress.

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 07:31:04 PM »
Agreed. Just write it the right way and youre money. You're so money baby and you dont even know it!

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 09:57:03 AM »
Thank you both. You've helped tremendously and put a smile on my face in the process.

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 10:05:09 AM »
kslaw...wow...you sound like a walking miracle! Your story is such a perfect basis illustrating determination, commitment, overcoming serious obstacles and sticking to the arguement that you could do it, managing stress, etc. And, you're right...approach this period in your life with a positive tone, perhaps how this experience led you to wanting to help others (through the application of laws, serving society, etc) down the line (disability and discrimination in employment and education, etc). I'm a professional writer, believe me... do not fret or think twice about writing your story. This is exactly what schools look for in applicants--
good luck! This adversity and challenge in your life can be turned into a wonderful outcome for you!

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 11:21:23 AM »
Thank you. But truly, it wasn't as bad as you may think. the lobes of the brain injured were those that control short-term memory, cognitive functioning and language (even that, I was very fortunate. it was only more advanced language skills...foreign language, reading comprehension, but not basic grammar and speech). So while I met some truly amazing people who had to relearn how to walk and talk , I just had to relearn how to learn.

Thank you, though. You just made me realize I was overlooking the obvious. I currently work with the disabled and am planning on going into public interest/health law.

thanks all.

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 04:39:08 PM »
kslaw - i dont even know you and im proud of you  ;D

def include this in your personal statement. 
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 05:01:46 PM »
Thanks.

;D