Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Jobs  (Read 1211 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
1L Jobs
« on: August 20, 2006, 12:28:54 PM »
since i always find the most helpful info in this thread i thought i would ask if anyone's prior experience helped them get a 1L job. I've read that it is very hard for 1Ls to get firm jobs due to lack of experience. I'm just wondering if non-trads would have an advantage due to most of us having career's before law school?
...man, you was who you was before you got here

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 06:13:52 PM »
since i always find the most helpful info in this thread i thought i would ask if anyone's prior experience helped them get a 1L job. I've read that it is very hard for 1Ls to get firm jobs due to lack of experience. I'm just wondering if non-trads would have an advantage due to most of us having career's before law school?

probably only in the capacity that you have searched for employment before and are more familiar with the process. the more i do this law school thing (and i say this as i'm pouring over my reading for tuesdays classes) i wonder why in the world anyone would want to be anything BUT a "non tradtional" student in law school. i wonder if many of my fellow classmates really understand what a "career" looks like and how life isn't a simple case of input/output. it confuses me.

spud1987

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »
One of the books I was reading about law school "Getting into law school:  A strategic approach" said that one of the biggest myths about non-trad students was they can obtain jobs easier.  The reasons the book gave was that firms like their associates to have very little prior full time experience.  Once again, this isn't just my opinion, its something I read. 

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:40:20 PM »
One of the books I was reading about law school "Getting into law school:  A strategic approach" said that one of the biggest myths about non-trad students was they can obtain jobs easier.  The reasons the book gave was that firms like their associates to have very little prior full time experience.  Once again, this isn't just my opinion, its something I read. 
This is just my anectdotal evidence but - My work experience didn't help at all when it came to landing a 1L job. I was routinely passed over for people w/out work experience.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »
My plan has been to keep working week-ends or whenever I can at my current job until time for summer internships. One of the law firms that hires me to do expert testimony told me that the interns they hire in the summer are usually the ones they will hire as associates after finishing school. I am just hoping that they will consider me for a summer internship. Also, I have to work so many hours a year as a nurse to keep my license, and this is where I can make the most money. I just had a thought while I was typing this, I wonder if I could continue giving expert testimony in labor and delivery cases after I become an attorney. Providing that I work in L & D as my way to get in my nursing hours. Any thoughts?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 12:52:37 AM »
My plan has been to keep working week-ends or whenever I can at my current job until time for summer internships. One of the law firms that hires me to do expert testimony told me that the interns they hire in the summer are usually the ones they will hire as associates after finishing school. I am just hoping that they will consider me for a summer internship. Also, I have to work so many hours a year as a nurse to keep my license, and this is where I can make the most money. I just had a thought while I was typing this, I wonder if I could continue giving expert testimony in labor and delivery cases after I become an attorney. Providing that I work in L & D as my way to get in my nursing hours. Any thoughts?

Some schools don't let you work during 1L - you might want to check with your school.
It is true that a lot of law firms are looking for long-term hires, but that's not always true of the jobs offered to 1Ls (it's more common with 2Ls).

My guess would be that your ability to continue testifying as an expert witness would depend upon what type of law you do (could be a conflict depending upon where you work). But I don't really know, I'm just guessing. 
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php