Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Things I learned at orientation this week.  (Read 3226 times)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: Things I learned at orientation this week.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 12:41:52 PM »
My birthday was Thursday and when someone asked how old I was turning, he laughed when I said my age.  Then he stopped and said, "Oh, you're serious.  I wouldn't have guessed."  That's . . . good . . . I guess.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
we played the "when did you graduate game" at the bar last night. yes, that's my college graduation year, not my high school

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
...i've always looked young for my age...and no one ever believes me when i tell them how old i am ...i always have to pull out my driver's license. for me its kind of like being caught between two worlds  because im still young enough to remember my parents telling me about the stuff i missed but old enough to realize how much the twenty somethings really dont know
...man, you was who you was before you got here

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 06:46:29 PM »
i LOVE this thread, and totally laughed out loud at the disparities in cultural/age references...

i am going to avoid doing what i did earlier this year when working with a group of 21-24 year olds (um...one was born during my freshman year in high school...ouch....)

so there we are, chatting about what we majored in during college....and one guy says "i made up my own major, it was philosophy of blah blah and globalization blah blah"...

so i say,

"wow! that's cool! globalization wasn't even a WORD when i went to college!" [hand clapped over mouth. deer in the headlights look. dammit dammit dammit]

"wait...so how old ARE you?"

oy.

i am torn between being upfront about my age, and just letting people assume what they want. i am 37, but i easily pass for mid-20's. i don't want to look like i was trying to hide something, or like a chump, if people ask a direct question, like when did you graduate college, and i don't answer it as directly. (yes dear, that would be 1990. not 1990-something, just 1990.)

now i can't WAIT for my own orientation to start!

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 07:10:35 PM »
i graduate in '91, i remember being a freshman and the seniors were making fun of me saying that I wouldn't graduate until the next decade

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:46 PM »
i graduate in '91, i remember being a freshman and the seniors were making fun of me saying that I wouldn't graduate until the next decade

Class of 90 here - I guess that technically means I graduated in the eighties. Or am I smoking crack? When did the nineties officially begin? Jan 1, 1991?

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 04:50:21 PM »
90 counts...

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 10:52:08 AM »
There's a thread in the General Board that asks for songs that remind you of middle school & when i looked @ it, i felt like D@mn!  These people were in MIDDLE SCHOOL when Nirvana was on the radio?!  Sheesh, that makes me feel just a lil' old.
My list has groups like the Police & the Clash...makes me sound ancient compared to the other listers.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »
One of my classmates was glad to discover that I was a wealth of ideas for what to wear for an "80's party."

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »
I was hanging out with a bunch of medical school 1M's a few weeks ago. One of my friends (my age) is recently engaged and her fiance (a 1M), while not fresh out of UG, is younger. Needless to say, I felt a little old.

/Oh to be 22 again! To know everything about everything and have a false sense of entitlement to the corner office!
Vanderbilt 2010