Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Things I learned at orientation this week.  (Read 3255 times)

Stacie

• View Profile
Things I learned at orientation this week.
« on: August 18, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
"Facebook" is a verb. You can conjugate it. "I facebooked my orientation group last night!" Don't ask me what it means.

Just because you think you don't have a first-day Torts assignment, and it was never posted to the class web site, and nobody has any way of knowing whether there actually is an assignment and if so what it is, does not mean you do not have a first-day assignment. Keep checking right up until you get into class. (As of 4:30 Friday, I do not have a first-day Torts assignment.)

My peers are apparently "kids." I did not realize this, even though most are younger than I am. "I live with two kids in a loft." "Oh, really?! How old are they? We have a nearly four-year-old at home!" "Uh...they're my age. Law students."

"Henry Lee" seems to be a good line-waiting earworm, although nobody agrees with me. (Nobody has heard of "Henry Lee" or Nick Cave, and nobody could fathom why anyone would record an entire album about murder.)

That apparently, people who are 22-23 don't realize that "Saved By The Bell" was ever a first-run show. When you tell them you graduated high school the same year the SBTB kids did, you may as well be telling them you would have graduated the same year as that guy from Los Lobos, if he hadn't died tragically in that plane crash.

Precious little about law or law school.

Still...everything seemed to go well. Classes start Monday!
0L, Marquette University Law School

proletariat

• View Profile
Re: Things I learned at orientation this week.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:31:17 PM »
I alluded to the impending situation at the bookstore to being like a "run on cabbage patch dolls."  The humor was totally lost on them.

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
I didn't raise my hand when we were asked if anyone had heard of "The Paper Chase."  I thought EVERYBODY had, and that they were just being shy.  I felt like a dork. ;D

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 11:09:42 PM »
My question is, did all of the younger students immediately call you Mr. or Mrs.? I had to take an Organic Chem. class that I was lacking and all of the students would call me Mrs. Sandy. I hate'd that. Talk about really feeling OLD and out of place.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

RainbowBrite

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 11:23:43 PM »
Who ARE these people that they don't know about SBTB and cabbage patch dolls! I'm 21 and I understand these things! However, to feel young, just tell people that you graduated high school the same year that the kids on Dawson's Creek did, and that the situation at the bookstore is like a "run on the latest Xbox"  ;D

Stacie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:47:50 AM »
My question is, did all of the younger students immediately call you Mr. or Mrs.? I had to take an Organic Chem. class that I was lacking and all of the students would call me Mrs. Sandy. I hate'd that. Talk about really feeling OLD and out of place.

I didn't get that...most of the students didn't realize I was 8-9 years older than they are (which isn't much, but it can be) until I mentioned something that dated me. Then, almost invariably, I got..."I CAN'T beLIEVE you're THAT OLD!!!!" I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted.

As for SBTB -- they called an old clunky cell phone a "Zak Morris phone." (They said they saw it "like 7 times a day" -- it's been in syndication forever, I guess.) When I told them my first cell phone came in a bag, and had to be plugged into the cigarette lighter to work, they had no idea.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:37:17 AM »
Never tell "the kids" your age if you don't have to. If you do, for most of them, that's all they see if they look at you. They know I'm older than them (I thought the SBTB kids were all young'ns...although I did like that Haley Mills was in the first season -- it was initially her show), they just don't know how old. As a 1L, I wasn't about to disabuse them of the notion that I wasn't their parents' age. Now that I've been around the kids for a couple years, some know my age. For most, I'm still okay with them not knowing.

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »
so Im 31 but I dont feel "old" and I hate the fact that older students feel like they have to point out the fact that they are older.  If anyone asks me my age I tell them and they are like, "you're shitting me!  you're 31??"  Age is just a number and it make no difference to me whatsoever.
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

Stacie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »
Heh...I'll answer if asked, but I don't offer. I'm not so much older than they are that it becomes all they see... it just seems to come up, though. In orientation, we went around the room and told everyone where we did our undergrad, what we've been doing since, and if we have a spouse/partner and/or kids...when the answer is "I spent the last 8 years as an editor and I did a teaching stint and I live with my SO and his nearly-four-year-old," it's kind of obvious.

And yeah, age is just a number, but a lot of times, it goes hand in hand with a mentality. That's not to say I haven't met some people who were fresh out of undergrad who I think will be great students (and friends), and that I didn't meet a 40-year-old "duuuuude" who I think will be hanging out at his old frathouse on Saturday nights. My post here isn't to disparage anyone due to their age -- just point out some differences in mentality (many of which have nothing to do with age).

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 11:58:01 AM »
yeah, my best friend in law school has been a 23 year old.  I definitely get both annoyed by some of the kids but I also relate to a bunch of them more than the older students because I dont have any kids, and although I am married, my wife splits the difference in age between them and basically Im immature for my age :D
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/