Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I am scared!  (Read 2558 times)

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I am scared!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 09:21:47 PM »
you are going to be fine. relax, think about what you are doing before you do it, study smart not hard, make sure you manage your time well, and be good to yourself.

there. that's the nutshell version of the books.

pretty sure i am going to show up and on the first day the dean will take me aside and say,

"oh.... YOU'RE mobo? so sorry, meant to call this summer, we cancelled your admission..." and then over his/her shoulder "good luck...."

USE the fear. EMBRACE the fear. ah....eff the fear.

xxxxx

• LSD needs more metal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 11:55:26 PM »
I don't even know what LEEWS is!  All I know about PLS is that it has something to do with highlighters!  I've never picked up any kind of prep book in my life!  I really am underprepared!

I'm the same. I don't know anything about law school, or LEEWS or PLS or whatever. I'm starting to get scared, like nervous in the pit of my stomach scared.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 12:44:18 AM »
Hey, if it can happen to Captain Jack, the rum can be gone for anyone.  The key, my friend, the key is finding more.

No, it needn't happen.  Ever.  Show some commitment.

You make a good point.  Never again shall all the rum be gone!

I think the key, actually, is to diversify: whiskey will open up a whole new world for you, Halfie.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 01:03:31 AM »
Be afraid. Be very afraid!
Damn, you stole my line  :D
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 01:06:34 AM »
P, you'll be just fine. You might even like it.
Find a 2L to cling to - it will help tremendously.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 01:17:41 AM »
P, you'll be just fine. You might even like it.
Find a 2L to cling to - it will help tremendously.

Yes, a 2L friend! I hope I can find one like you, db, though I'm afraid you're quite the rare bird.

EDIT: and thank you for the vote of confidence!

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 12:14:38 PM »
MissP - I agree, diversification is a good quality, but people get nervous when you can describe the differences between various IPAs, help them pick out a nice scotch, and can do wine pairings.

I don't know anything about wine and I try to know little about IPAs (rejection of my homeland), but picking out a nice scotch should never, ever make anyone nervous.  Especially not while they have all these subsidized loans.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 04:56:30 PM »
MissP - I agree, diversification is a good quality, but people get nervous when you can describe the differences between various IPAs, help them pick out a nice scotch, and can do wine pairings.
I have to agree with MissP's response.  What makes people nervous is a lack of apperciation for anything more sophisticated than Keystone Light.  If your idea of fine liqour means it comes in a glass bottle, that makes me nervous.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »
I'm late to this party (argh for no internet access at my new home!), but I just wanted to chime in to say:

a) yes, I'm nervous too - I'm vacillating between joy and exhilaration and abject terror, with the rapid mood cycling that is usually the domain of childhood-onset bipolar disorder or heavy drug use.  I'm sure we're all experiencing it differently, but how can we not be awed by the sheer enormity of what we're about to begin?  This is a Big Deal! 

b) I think Vapid's larger point was that we LSDers tend to represent the uber-geek end of the entering 1L spectrum.  If people here make you feel unprepared, well, it's because the people here are pretty anal and intense.  Even more so than the law student universe as a whole, I'd argue. 

and c) Miss P, I have the utmost faith in you.  You're intelligent and grounded and articulate, and you seem to have done the self-reflective, introspective stuff that will give you confidence in your law school decision when the going gets rough.  And past performance means NOTHING -- take it from me, who had one of the all-time least illustrious gpas and went on to kick ass in grad school.  I know that grad school isn't law school...but neither is it undergrad, and you're not the person you were ten years ago.  The way I look at it, we have a slight edge over our overachieving classmates, in that we know that the sun will continue to rise in the East even if we get a lousy grade on something.  You'll be fine!

Good luck, everyone!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »
Oh, thank you, Jolie!  I'm blushing...
I've been gone for a while, so I send my apologies for not responding sooner.

And for those of you who remain scared and who haven't started yet, let me just say, it's not so bad!  I would prefer to like more of the people, but other than that, I think I'm enjoying law school!

Good luck to all!