Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Took Feb LSAT, Thinking of Retaking in Sept--Study Strategy?  (Read 415 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
Hey everyone. For those who have been regular posters pre-Feb, you should remember me. I was quite a regular poster back then, so greetings if any of you are still lurking.

So I took the Feb test and was averaging 169 (167-171 range) but got a 164. I was most concerned about LG but practiced my butt off and started improving significantly. I generally did well on LR (1 to 3 wrong per section on average) and was ok with RC. In any case, I don't think my lower score was because of test-day jitters but perhaps because I under-studied for LR. Nonetheless, I feel like I really should be able to do better than the 164, especially given my practice scores. I'm considering taking the LSAT this September. The only problem is that in preparing for the Feb test, I used all of the recent preptests ('99 to '05 I believe). As for the slightly older ones, I used the games sections from some of those so I can't really re-take those tests and use the resulting score as a reliable indicator. The only options would be: a) Kaplan/PR-created tests, b) really old tests (pre-96ish), and c) the tripleprep or superprep (whichever one has the undisclosed Feb tests...I haven't taken these, and d) the june '05 test

So, as you can see, my main concern is that I won't have much study material, as I realize taking preptests is the best way to study. The other concern is whether I have enough time between now and Sept 30 to get back all the knowledge I have (it's been 6 months so maybe not too long) and to also improve on that so I can be confident into the test Sept 30. I'm also working generally 9-7ish so it's tough to find time to study. Weekends would be my best bet and perhaps if I can squeeze in an hour or two on weekdays.

I'd appreciate any kinds of advice in general on whether you think I should re-take in Sept or perhaps later and also if you have any insights on what you think I should/could study. Sorry if I've left out some crucial info or if this seemed incoherent but i'm posting from work so not fully paying attention  :)

Oh, and stevo87* (I think that's your nick) I know you retook and were in a similar situation so I'd be interesting to hear your thoughts if you're out there.

Barnum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • griffonprep.com
Re: Took Feb LSAT, Thinking of Retaking in Sept--Study Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:05:29 AM »
Welcome back Commie Panda!  Congrats on your score.  I know it is not as high as you were hoping, but a 164 is still great.

So, as you can see, my main concern is that I won't have much study material, as I realize taking preptests is the best way to study.

I would just like to say that just taking preptests is NOT necessarily the best way to study.  In fact in can even be quite helpful to review questions you have seen before.  A lot of times when we take a test or a section, we are worried about just getting it right or getting it done quickly.  When you take another look at the same question, you can worry more about why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right answer is correct.  On games, for example, I will often redo the same game over and over again.  Each time I may learn something new about it that I hadn't seen the previous time.  This deeper understanding allows me to see the patterns more quickly and efficiently when I look at a new game that I hadn't seen before.

So the concern about having used the materials may not be as much of a concern as you think.  I have been looking at LSAT so long that I have probably looked at every question multiple times.  I have most of them memorized at this point, but I still feel there is value in looking at them again when I am studying. 

You also mentioned it has been six months since you have really looked at this stuff.  It is also possible that you won't remember much of what you did before.  That said, some of the other sources you mentioned could still be valuable.  The superprep and the older LSATs still could provide you additional material that you haven't looked at.  I would avoid any non-real LSAT type material that is generally sold commercially in the bookstores.

The other concern is whether I have enough time between now and Sept 30 to get back all the knowledge I have (it's been 6 months so maybe not too long) and to also improve on that so I can be confident into the test Sept 30.

It is sort of like riding a bike.  Granted, I never liked that expression because after I could drive, I pretty much stopped riding a bike.  I got on one five years later, and was actually quite wobbly.  Granted, with just a little bit of refresher, I was able to ride the bike qutie smoothly again.  And in that sense, the LSAT really is like riding a bike.  You may feel wobbly when you first start up again, but within a week or so it should feel like it did before the February exam.  Then you still have over a month to solidify your score in the higher 160s/170s range before you take the exam again.

Good luck!

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
Re: Took Feb LSAT, Thinking of Retaking in Sept--Study Strategy?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:48:56 AM »
Hey you!

I think that your score was a good one. Why do you want to retake? Is it that the schools that you plan to apply to wants a 170?

Many schools give out full scholarships with your score, unless of course you are eyeing a T14.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1