Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This might be a really stupid question...  (Read 1225 times)

xxxxx

• LSD needs more metal.
    • View Profile
This might be a really stupid question...
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:33:56 AM »
but should I dye over the part of my hair that is turquoise before I start law school? I don't necessarily want to, but I don't want to look like a freak or anything during orientation, as I'm guessing most other people won't have blue hair.

selecter

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: This might be a really stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:48:50 AM »
if you like it, keep it. yeah you can consider this the begining of you "Career", but you can still get straight a's with blue hair. if your interviewing places where it's frowned upon, then you obviously want to get rid of it.... but until then, if your not worried about what random people on the street think now, then don't worry about your classmates. some might think of you as "the girl with blue hair", but you can think of them as "dicks".

..you might want to worry about certain stuffy profs i suppose.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:01:35 AM »

Here's my take - if you wouldn't go into court, interview a client, or do an interview for a job with...
  • ...then don't start law school that way.
i plan to wear shorts, flip flops, and a button up shirt for orientation.  honestly, my 'attire' won't change much throughout the year.  as a student who plans to spend most of his time in the library, i plan to be comfortable.   :P
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »
I don't think it will matter one bit. As long as you show up to interviews without the blue, who cares? I've already met at least one person at my school with an unusual hairstyle and I go to a fairly conservative school, so you probably won't be the only one.

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:51:25 AM »
tough call.

i think that it is more important to be you than to follow the norms...even though i believe that you have to follow the norms to a point sometimes to have enough credibility so that people will value the real you. that point is a personal one though.

you could always dye over it for school start, and if you miss it and feel like you aren't you without it, dye it back during the year.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 12:50:51 PM »
but should I dye over the part of my hair that is turquoise before I start law school? I don't necessarily want to, but I don't want to look like a freak or anything during orientation, as I'm guessing most other people won't have blue hair.

I was actually thinking about the same thing with my ear rings and hair. I used to actually wear hoops, but took them out and have had diamond studs, now i'm thinking about taking them out too. I go to a relatively conservative school. I probibly won't take them out right away, but will sometime in the future, especially for oral arguments and such. My hair I used to have obnoxiously spikey, I decided to cut it and play it down a bit.  ;D :D
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »
only do it if you want to. i had really intense red (coke-bottle red) and then hot pink highlights in my hair for the entire first year of law school.  professors did not care at all - i got almost straight As (duh, blind grading).  students did not care at all.  after the first month everyone starts showing up to class in their pajamas anyway, so odd-colored hair is not a big deal.  you're still a student and no one expects you to look uber-professional every day.  if you want a law firm job school is probably your last chance to keep the blue hair for a while - might as well enjoy it.

i would dye it back for interviews though.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 10:43:24 PM »
If you need to seek validation, I'd question if having blue hair is personal style or acting out for attention.

When you go job hunting, I'd suggest no blue hair if you're going for a law firm, clerkship, externship, etc. If you're going for some of the public interest jobs, it probably matter less. Also, it's probably not going to help you with judges in court or with clients if you're working at a clinic.

As for the comments on flip flops, baseball caps, etc. Those are all pretty standard attire for law school. You should be able to figure out pretty quickly when what you're wearing matters.

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not as easy as it looks.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LYN581
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »
If it's something you would normally do...

go for it!

I was thinking about piercing my nose. Maybe I will now ::)

agroothuis

• View Profile
    • www.learnthelaw.org
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »
You absolutely DO NOT need to change your hair for orientation unless your school has suggested professional attire or appearance.

1) It doesn't matter the impression you leave with your profs. Classes are huge and grading is anonymous. The worst that can happen is that you get called upon in class or noticed by the prof because you look a little different than the average student. But I seriously doubt that would be a factor.

2) The present yourself as if you are going to court or interviewing a client advice is, no offense and this isn't meant to be demeaning, the advice of someone who has never been to law school. How you look in class is completely irrelevant to anything.

Unfortunately though, as soon as interviews come around the hair has to go.

...I mean, the blue part. Not all of the hair.
CALI's blog for pre-laws:
http://calis_pre-law_blog.classcaster.org/blog/

CALI's website for pre-laws:
www.learnthelaw.org