Law School Discussion

First day reading?

yiplong

• View Profile
Re: First day reading?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 10:58:17 PM »
Should we take notes on Squibs, or highight them?

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 11:26:55 PM »
For the squibs...it depends. Some profs use them a lot; some don't. Make sure you've read them for your first class so you can answer questions about them, if asked. If your prof. makes use fo them, make sure you have the basics of them. In any case, you should use them when you're learning about an area to suppliment the rules from the cases.

Ever

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:56:16 PM »
Would it be worthwhile to run out and grab a used copy of Black's Law Dictionary?

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 12:23:38 AM »
Once you get Westlaw access you'll have access to Black's online. I'm sure the school library has copies, also. Personally, I liked having a compact copy of Black's to keep in my locker and use for readings. So, it's up to you, but I found having one handy.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 05:27:32 AM »
If you buy a Black's law dictionary, get a used pocket edition.  Don't spend a lot of money on it.  I was told the same thing last year, but was insistent that I should have one, so I got the nice black hardcover edition.  I used a few times last year, but not a ton.  I would have been just as well off not wasting the cash and getting a used one.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 09:00:50 AM »
Would it be worthwhile to run out and grab a used copy of Black's Law Dictionary?

If you have Rogers for Contracts, definitely get a dictionary. He will look for the most obscure words in a case - both legal and non-legal - and expect you to know what the words mean.

If you have Dorsaneo for Civ Pro...just be prepared. Know what the procedural posture of the case is (his words) and be ready to be wrong. This guy actually wrote the book and Texas Civil Procedure and actually has a link on Lexis Nexis. But the class is really entertaining....especially when he goes on a rant.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 09:18:28 AM »
I think dictionary.com also draws upon Black's law dictionary when you enter a legal term, like "estoppel" or "easement."

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 12:37:19 PM »
If you buy a Black's law dictionary, get a used pocket edition.  Don't spend a lot of money on it.  I was told the same thing last year, but was insistent that I should have one, so I got the nice black hardcover edition.  I used a few times last year, but not a ton.  I would have been just as well off not wasting the cash and getting a used one.

I agree...I have the pocket version and it was pretty pricey too = $25.00. Also, if your prof. is open book and note for your exam, a law dictionary is a must!

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Fundraiser for Nephew who lost both parents
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 03:38:54 PM »
wow great advice!! Also about the "squibs", my summer professors actually told us that questions that appear after the cases can appear on the exam. They wanted to give us more reading. I actually didn't like reading all that extra stuff, I found it to be a pain, especially since they NEVER PUT them on the exam anyway!! grrr (it did help with class discussion if we read them though)  ;D

Ever

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »
My Crim Law professor wants us to read the facts of about 20 cases before class... should I be writing down the main points or just reading through to get the general jist? He also asked that we brief a test case too.