g
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:16:50 AM »
g

sladkaya

• Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
Re: ... where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »
Here's a couple to start you off (these are some of the boiler plate questions, but writing out essays for both of these prompts may help uncover an interesting topic which may become your actual PS):

* Tell us about yourself in 750 words or less.

* Why law school, why now?

If, for example, you start answering the first one and one of your paragraphs is about running for office in the Student Government Association, and you really want to talk more about that, perhaps your real PS will use that as the opening paragraph to catch reader's attention, and then demonstrate how that has built your character, etc.

Or, talk about how your siblings all chose to go to law school and what their experience makes you want to do differently, etc.(I read your other post).

Go to your local bookstore and browse through a couple of admissions books - Richard Montauk and Anna Ivey come to mind.  They have sample personal statements of students who were accepted to top schools, and a lot of general admissions advice.  Just take it with a grain of salt.

Hope I helped.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:19:32 AM »
Here's a couple to start you off (these are some of the boiler plate questions, but writing out essays for both of these prompts may help uncover an interesting topic which may become your actual PS):

If, for example, you start answering the first one and one of your paragraphs is about running for office in the Student Government Association, and you really want to talk more about that, perhaps your real PS will use that as the opening paragraph to catch reader's attention, and then demonstrate how that has built your character, etc.

Or, talk about how your siblings all chose to go to law school and what their experience makes you want to do differently, etc.(I read your other post).

Go to your local bookstore and browse through a couple of admissions books - Richard Montauk and Anna Ivey come to mind.  They have sample personal statements of students who were accepted to top schools, and a lot of general admissions advice.  Just take it with a grain of salt.

Hope I helped.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and this is SUCH great advice! Thank you!

BTW - is there anyway to subscribe to a thread, so I can come back to this (and others') advice?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:15:02 AM »

Hope I helped.

This is good advice, and I would definitely recommend reading Ivey's and Montauk's books, but I also wanted to add that usually the best personal statements are good because a) they are well-written, and b) they let the reader get to know the writer.  Some people are naturally better writers than others, but whether or not you are a good writer, you have months to write your PS, so there should be no excuse for not turning in a well-written essay (having others read your PS should help).  As for b), I think the key to this is to make your statement personal.  Avoid generalizations and cliches, and try to write something that nobody else but you could have written.   

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:11:09 AM »
tag