Law School Discussion

"Jesuit Education"...??

"Jesuit Education"...??
« on: August 13, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »
As I was perusing the websites of two universities I plan on applying to (Santa Clara & U of San Francisco), I noticed that they label themselves as 'the place for Jesuit education'

How does this religious affiliation affect the curriculum and quality of education offered?

Im not sure I want to go to a school so strongly affiliates with one religion... :-\

Looking for some input, thanks!

Re: "Jesuit Education"...??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
Ok... im open to attending the schools, but i'm just wondering what being a Jesuit institution entails?
How does it differ from other schools...?

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 06:49:08 PM »
i went to a jesuit undergrad

there isnt a difference.

dont let this affect your decision in the least.

except for perhaps more focus on liberal arts, there isnt any difference.

its not like priests and nuns will be your teachers.

you will not be forcefed religion, and ive actually found that a strong (although unseen) jesuit foundation makes for a great school, because they are so academic focused.

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:58:04 PM »
supposedly, a jesuit education = a quality program that emphasizes rigorous academics. 

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:13:48 PM »
i went to a jesuit undergrad

there isnt a difference.

dont let this affect your decision in the least.

except for perhaps more focus on liberal arts, there isnt any difference.

its not like priests and nuns will be your teachers.

you will not be forcefed religion, and ive actually found that a strong (although unseen) jesuit foundation makes for a great school, because they are so academic focused.

I agree with most of what is said here - but at my school we DID have priests as teachers. Not all our teachers were priests, but there were a few.  As an undergrad, we were required to take religion class, but we could choose from a range of subjects. For example, I took a course about Christianity in the African American community. A friend of mine took a class specifically for agnostics.

The best thing about a Jesuit education, in my experience, is that there is a great emphasis on personal ethics, as well as helping others. Volunteer work was MANDATORY at my undergrad.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »
Thanks alot for the responses, and from what I gather, the religious affiliation wont affect me too much, so I dont see a problem with considering these schools.

Just wanted to make sure! ;)

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:06:02 AM »
Having gone through four years of Jesuit High School and now almost four years in a Jesuit College I understand what they mean when they say a Jesuit education.

Really, they are trying to emphasize a greater sense of community and a greater awareness of the outside world. They're very "helping." What I mean by that is they pride themselves on community service and giving back, but also Jesuit institutions are known for high quality education.

Just my two cents.