Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Eastern Europeans going to law school any time soon?  (Read 1860 times)

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Eastern Europeans going to law school any time soon?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 07:42:11 PM »
One of my good friends is a Russian Jew. Her family is very wealthy and in positions of power, both politically and in business. Those that have $ in Russia, have A LOT. They use lawyers for everything, especially since Putin came to power. (I think that the attitudes about business ethics are changing as a result of the Khodorkovsky issue). They are also somewhat partial to hiring another Russian or Russian-American lawyer to help them. If you ever get licensed to practice in NY and London or Russia, you can make a fortune.

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
  • Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 07:54:25 PM »
You eknow, the only problem with the money of the new rich Russians is that the majority of it is really 'dirty' money (drugs, prostitution, sale of weapons).I am not sure I would ever like to get involved in anything like that, no matter, how much money they pay me.

One of my good friends is a Russian Jew. Her family is very wealthy and in positions of power, both politically and in business. Those that have $ in Russia, have A LOT. They use lawyers for everything, especially since Putin came to power. (I think that the attitudes about business ethics are changing as a result of the Khodorkovsky issue). They are also somewhat partial to hiring another Russian or Russian-American lawyer to help them. If you ever get licensed to practice in NY and London or Russia, you can make a fortune.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 08:18:31 PM »
I don't think that she's a new rich Russian. Technically, yes, since nobody was rich under the USSR; but her family has always been very influential. Her father was an engineer and created a machine that helped in automobile production. The USSR would not allow him to patent it, so he sought asylum in the US, plus he was Jewish and not free to practice. Her mother remained in the USSR and is a doctor. She was remarried to Russia's top mathematician. Her uncle used to be or is still the Chief Architect of Moscow. Here, it wouldn't seem that ppl like that could be so wealthy, but in Russia it's a different story. Her family is extremely wealthy.

I agree that a lot of nuovo riche got there through corruption, a weak gov't, and illegal activities. Some of them are just scum. She knows the guy that is in charge of all of Russia for Merril Lynch. She asked him for a job, he asked her for a blowjob. She didn't do it, but it's just so sad that those standards still exist.

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 08:31:40 PM »
I did not mean to imply that your friend is one of the nuovo riches with suspicious reputation. Her family history is really fascinating. She must be great in science considering her family background:)

The problem with such guys like the Merril Linch boss in Russia is that they think they can get whatever they want and other people are of little importance. This is expecially relevant in countries where there is no middle class and where the justice system does not work at all.
It is the same situation in Bulgaria.

But it is great that you have such an intersting friend. I am sure that she can show you great time if you visit her in Russia!

I don't think that she's a new rich Russian. Technically, yes, since nobody was rich under the USSR; but her family has always been very influential. Her father was an engineer and created a machine that helped in automobile production. The USSR would not allow him to patent it, so he sought asylum in the US, plus he was Jewish and not free to practice. Her mother remained in the USSR and is a doctor. She was remarried to Russia's top mathematician. Her uncle used to be or is still the Chief Architect of Moscow. Here, it wouldn't seem that ppl like that could be so wealthy, but in Russia it's a different story. Her family is extremely wealthy.

I agree that a lot of nuovo riche got there through corruption, a weak gov't, and illegal activities. Some of them are just scum. She knows the guy that is in charge of all of Russia for Merril Lynch. She asked him for a job, he asked her for a blowjob. She didn't do it, but it's just so sad that those standards still exist.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 08:38:34 PM »
I knew that you didn't mean to imply that. I just wanted to say that not everyone, but probably a small percentage, of those that are very wealthy didn't get there through 'dirty' money.

I don't know that much about Bulgaria, so I would never say Bulgaria must also be like this. If you say so, I'll take your word for it.

In newly industrializing countries it is very different than here since there is hardly any middle class. In my home country, Argentina, there was a big middle class, but it has deteriorated b/c of the politicians. In Brasil, it is more like Russia. 5% are extremely wealthy, the other 95% are dirt poor.

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 08:55:42 PM »
the situation is definitely not good in developing countries. Poverty creates a lot of jealousy and social problems. One should almost feel ashamed if he/she is well-to-do.

One of my latino friends was in Argentine a year ago. He told me that Argentine was the most developed country out of the entire South America. I am sure that things will turn around for you, guys. Hell, you already began the progress by winning the gold in basketball and soccer in the Olympics. Ginobli is awesome. What do you, Argentinians, think about him?

I knew that you didn't mean to imply that. I just wanted to say that not everyone, but probably a small percentage, of those that are very wealthy didn't get there through 'dirty' money.

I don't know that much about Bulgaria, so I would never say Bulgaria must also be like this. If you say so, I'll take your word for it.

In newly industrializing countries it is very different than here since there is hardly any middle class. In my home country, Argentina, there was a big middle class, but it has deteriorated b/c of the politicians. In Brasil, it is more like Russia. 5% are extremely wealthy, the other 95% are dirt poor.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 09:14:07 PM »
To be honest, I had never even heard of him before the Olympics. In fact, I didn't even think that the Argentine team was very good. Usually when I think who dominates basketball, I think the US.

I'm big on soccer, but not as big as they are in Argentina. I can't wait for the next World Cup. The last World Cup I had to stay up late or wake up at 4 since it was in Japan/South Korea. Whenever we play the British, it's always a dirty and ruthless game.

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 09:19:36 PM »
I hear you, England vs. Argentine is a ruthless, exciting game. Do you remember how Beckham and Ortega almost started fighting on the pitch.
Hopefully, Argentine and Bulgaria do better in 2006 in Germany. If law school is paying off, I can even go watch some of the games live;)

To be honest, I had never even heard of him before the Olympics. In fact, I didn't even think that the Argentine team was very good. Usually when I think who dominates basketball, I think the US.

I'm big on soccer, but not as big as they are in Argentina. I can't wait for the next World Cup. The last World Cup I had to stay up late or wake up at 4 since it was in Japan/South Korea. Whenever we play the British, it's always a dirty and ruthless game.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 09:27:43 PM »
You're pretty lucky if you're able to go view the games. I've always wanted to go but have never been able to. I'm content w/ just watching the game at a bar full of Argentines chanting fight songs.

So how's Bulgaria's team?

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 09:35:03 PM »
We are awesome; I am a little bit biased as you can see. Our coach is the famous Hristo Stoichkov. He is also awesome:) We  finished 4th in the Wolrd Cup in USA (1994) This year, however, we were humbled in the Euro cup in Portugal. Sweden beated the crap out of us, so my soccer heart is still hurting. But now with Stoichkov, I believe again!
As you can see, I am a little bit obsessed with soccer!

You're pretty lucky if you're able to go view the games. I've always wanted to go but have never been able to. I'm content w/ just watching the game at a bar full of Argentines chanting fight songs.

So how's Bulgaria's team?