One of my good friends is a Russian Jew. Her family is very wealthy and in positions of power, both politically and in business. Those that have $ in Russia, have A LOT. They use lawyers for everything, especially since Putin came to power. (I think that the attitudes about business ethics are changing as a result of the Khodorkovsky issue). They are also somewhat partial to hiring another Russian or Russian-American lawyer to help them. If you ever get licensed to practice in NY and London or Russia, you can make a fortune.
I don't think that she's a new rich Russian. Technically, yes, since nobody was rich under the USSR; but her family has always been very influential. Her father was an engineer and created a machine that helped in automobile production. The USSR would not allow him to patent it, so he sought asylum in the US, plus he was Jewish and not free to practice. Her mother remained in the USSR and is a doctor. She was remarried to Russia's top mathematician. Her uncle used to be or is still the Chief Architect of Moscow. Here, it wouldn't seem that ppl like that could be so wealthy, but in Russia it's a different story. Her family is extremely wealthy. I agree that a lot of nuovo riche got there through corruption, a weak gov't, and illegal activities. Some of them are just scum. She knows the guy that is in charge of all of Russia for Merril Lynch. She asked him for a job, he asked her for a blowjob. She didn't do it, but it's just so sad that those standards still exist.
I knew that you didn't mean to imply that. I just wanted to say that not everyone, but probably a small percentage, of those that are very wealthy didn't get there through 'dirty' money. I don't know that much about Bulgaria, so I would never say Bulgaria must also be like this. If you say so, I'll take your word for it.In newly industrializing countries it is very different than here since there is hardly any middle class. In my home country, Argentina, there was a big middle class, but it has deteriorated b/c of the politicians. In Brasil, it is more like Russia. 5% are extremely wealthy, the other 95% are dirt poor.
To be honest, I had never even heard of him before the Olympics. In fact, I didn't even think that the Argentine team was very good. Usually when I think who dominates basketball, I think the US. I'm big on soccer, but not as big as they are in Argentina. I can't wait for the next World Cup. The last World Cup I had to stay up late or wake up at 4 since it was in Japan/South Korea. Whenever we play the British, it's always a dirty and ruthless game.
You're pretty lucky if you're able to go view the games. I've always wanted to go but have never been able to. I'm content w/ just watching the game at a bar full of Argentines chanting fight songs. So how's Bulgaria's team?
Page created in 0.201 seconds with 17 queries.