Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR from Univ. President?  (Read 416 times)

maybe2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • Doesn't get any better than early 90s tv
    • View Profile
LOR from Univ. President?
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:53:11 PM »
I recently asked my TA for a LOR.  He said that Adcomm wouldn't care about his opinion, but would get the Pres of the school who actually taught the class to write the LOR with my TA's input.  My question is, will this LOR really mean anything coming from the Pres of the school?  It is a top tier school, not quite Ivy.  How much do LORs really influence the Adcomm. Just wondering how excited I should be about it.   
In: RU-C($), Loyola, Nova, Temple ($$), AU, Emory, WUSTL ($$), NDLS ($$), Wake, Case, GULC (PT), Fordham, Cardozo, Mason (PT)
WL/Def: NU, Duke, UVA, W&L, UVA, BC
Out: UMich, NYU, Boalt, UC-Davis, HLS, UofChicago, Columbia, UWash

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=maybe2007

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: LOR from Univ. President?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 06:19:19 PM »
An LOR will matter more coming from someone who actually knows you and has worked with you. The prestige of the person's name is completely irrelevant. The LOR is about you, not the person who wrote it. If the TA is the best judge of your abilities, has observed you in action and can say you are one fo the most talented students he has taught in his 2 years as a TA, that is going to be well-regarded.

LOR's don't count for much unless they're just so good in describing how great a candidate is or how terrible he is.
Vanderbilt 2010