• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006, 05:53:35 PM »

DelDad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Asking for LORs when you know they don't remember you
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 06:26:21 PM »
I'm ten years out, and had some of the same worries.  Along with my request for a letter, I sent my old professor an old paper I'd written for him, my resume, a picture of me at the time he knew me, etc.  The picture jogged his memory, and I got a promise of a very enthusiastic letter from him, whie the other stuff I sent him gave him what he might need to make it a better letter in case he didn't really remember me all that well, which I'm certain was the case.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:42 AM »
I'm in a similar position (right down to hating to ask people for favors).  If you still live close to your UG institution showing up in person can help a lot.  I made sure not to say "you probably don't remember me" in my letters because it seemed kind of... inappropriate (especially if they do remember!) but I told them what class I had taken and when, that I enjoyed it, what grade I got, and asked if they would be willing to meet with me.  I wouldn't drop in without an appointment unless it is a current professor and you can go during office hours.  If you don't live close enough to come in person, offer to email a few samples of the work you did for the class along with a PS or short essay on your goals for law school.
U of Chicago 2010.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:50:21 PM »
Well heres how i went about it.  Each prof has been in ur shoes before prolly....and i consider the whole LOR thing as a part of their obligation to us as Professors.  Dont think of it as them doing you a favor, and certainly dont be meek abotu asking.  What do you have to lose?  Obviously ask people who think will give u a godo letter, but help them by giving them material, etc etc. 
Princeton Law 2010

MotownSaint

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 03:23:25 AM »
When you contact them don't assume that they don't know you (even if it is likely) and ask them if they would be willing to review one of the papers you wrote for their class or sit down and talk with you to get to know you better.  If you make it clear that you genuinely would appreciate their LOR, I would think that most professors would be willing to sit down with a former student and flesh out that relationship.  I doubt many of my professors I've had classes with my enter UG know enough about me outside of class to write me a quality LOR, which is why I request that we have a sit-down and talk about what I've been up to and what I'm all about.  One professor of mine even requested that I send him a written essay on just what the heck is so great about me along with a resume complete with honors and extracurricular activities.  His LOR was simply amazing.

I'm fairly sure I received a scholarship because of his LOR alone.

And to be honest, he didn't know a lick about me before I sent him that, excepting that I liked to speak up in the one class I'd ever had with him.