Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another resume question  (Read 349 times)

bunny

• View Profile
Another resume question
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
I have absolutely nothing to put in the activities/interests part of the resume.  Between being self-employed and a full-time student & married with a home to take care of there is no time for anything else.  My hobbies are pretty mundane-reading, working out, etc.  If I just have education and experience and completely omit this other type of section will it look bad? 

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Another resume question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:16:08 PM »
I have absolutely nothing to put in the activities/interests part of the resume.  Between being self-employed and a full-time student & married with a home to take care of there is no time for anything else.  My hobbies are pretty mundane-reading, working out, etc.  If I just have education and experience and completely omit this other type of section will it look bad? 

No 5Ks, church group fundraisers, chamber of commerce membership or association in any small business owners groups? Did you lead any student groups in any of your classes or write any term papers of note?
Vanderbilt 2010

bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »
I have done fundraising for the food bank, but it is through my business, so would that count?  (Every holiday season we run a Tans for Cans promotion and give people a free tanning session for every 3 items they donate.)

There is a 5K in my town this weekend, perhaps I should sign up!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:32:11 PM »
I have done fundraising for the food bank, but it is through my business, so would that count?  (Every holiday season we run a Tans for Cans promotion and give people a free tanning session for every 3 items they donate.)

There is a 5K in my town this weekend, perhaps I should sign up!

Of course it counts! I would count any work you have done with local charities through your business-- it is involvement with the community. Have you sponsored an Angel Tree or provided support to any youth groups, etc., with your business, done any work with your Home Owners Assoc. to sponsor a Trick or Treat on the street, PTA, helping your S/O with a community project?
Vanderbilt 2010

bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »
The food bank is the only thing that I really physically do.  I routinely donate gift baskets, gift cards and money from the business to the local sports teams, firefighters, Boy & Girl Scouts, animal shelters and just about every individual with cancer/transplants/medical issues who asks.  I just feel funny saying "here's a list of everyone I gave donations to:"  Anyone can give away money-its not like I'm really doing anything.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
The food bank is the only thing that I really physically do.  I routinely donate gift baskets, gift cards and money from the business to the local sports teams, firefighters, Boy & Girl Scouts, animal shelters and just about every individual with cancer/transplants/medical issues who asks.  I just feel funny saying "here's a list of everyone I gave donations to:"  Anyone can give away money-its not like I'm really doing anything.

I would still use it, but it is up to you. There are people who will be claiming URM status because their step-uncle's college roommate took a semester of "Native Peoples 101."

Give it a catchy name like "Sun Supporterts" or "Tans for Fans" or "S.U.N" Supporting Underprivileged Neighbors". You can say something like "Founder, Sun Supporters: Developed community support campaign through value-in-kind donations and assistance to local charities to raise funds and awareness for groups including Girl Scouts, SPCA, and area Little League"
Vanderbilt 2010

bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 05:17:45 PM »
Thanks so much!  I added 2 separate items-1 for the food drive and another about community support where I listed six of the organizations that we regularly support.