Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS structure  (Read 1246 times)

bulldogger116

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
PS structure
« on: August 19, 2004, 01:52:37 AM »
I want to write my personal statement on how I overcame a childhood obstacle.  Does anyone know if I should just write on the obstacle I overcame, and how i am now, or is it beter to write about how I overcame a childhoood obstacle and why I want to study law.  Doe you guys thinkt that talking about the obstacle and why I want to study law is two different topics that could be each a separate essay? Which do you think is a stronger topic to write about? Any help or advice would help me out a lot. Thanks.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PS structure
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:58:22 PM »
I wrote about a childhood obstacle as well.  I compared the obstacle as child to the obstacle of law school.  So I was prepared to overcome this whole law school thing, but I put it more eloquently.

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PS structure
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 03:25:25 PM »
That Montauk book to Law School had some advice on this.  Basically, they said to make sure it's a real obstacle, not to reach so you have something to talk about.  Also, it seems to me like th emost effective essays are those that take a significant event, describe it well (good writing) and then tie that into law school.  This is a little more interesting than the chronological telling of events type essay.  So, maybe you could just describe a pivotal moment and then go into how that changed you.

Hope this helps.
A