Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How would law schools view....  (Read 665 times)

bboyspekz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
How would law schools view....
« on: August 09, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »
Although I might've mentioned it briefly in another thread...I figured with the release of the movie and all I would pop the question..

How would law schools view 9/11 victims?

There are obviously two different views I've heard so far.
1. Maybe slight notice, everyone has a story.
2. Practically URM...There can't be more than a handful of people applying who lost a direct family member.

MY OPINION
Most schools will probably view it under a "special circumstances disadvantaged case"
For example Fordham's app has a little box you can check for this type of review.

So in reality I guess my question would be, if the disadvantage is found to be credible, would that give the nudge needed to make certain schools???, (such as Fordham PT or Brooklyn PT, etc...notice I said PT because even though I'm retaking the LSATS I doubt I'll reach much higher that low 160's) =(

Or in layman's terms: How much better of a shot do you have if the law school finds your case to be legitimately disadvantaged?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: How would law schools view....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:23:47 PM »
Although I might've mentioned it briefly in another thread...I figured with the release of the movie and all I would pop the question..

How would law schools view 9/11 victims?

There are obviously two different views I've heard so far.
1. Maybe slight notice, everyone has a story.
2. Practically URM...There can't be more than a handful of people applying who lost a direct family member.

MY OPINION
Most schools will probably view it under a "special circumstances disadvantaged case"
For example Fordham's app has a little box you can check for this type of review.

So in reality I guess my question would be, if the disadvantage is found to be credible, would that give the nudge needed to make certain schools???, (such as Fordham PT or Brooklyn PT, etc...notice I said PT because even though I'm retaking the LSATS I doubt I'll reach much higher that low 160's) =(

Or in layman's terms: How much better of a shot do you have if the law school finds your case to be legitimately disadvantaged?

How do you define legitimately disadvantaged? Yes, 9/11 was a tragedy. And yes, losing a family member is a tragedy. But 9/11 also happened 5 years ago. Similarly, the Thailand Tsunami was 2 years ago, Katrina 1 year ago... victims or those who lost loved ones won't be viewed as URMs just for having lived through these experiences, but they will contribute to the diversity you would bring a class or bring an interesting angle to an application.
Vanderbilt 2010

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »
I think it is exactly identical so any other life experience that the committee deems you will add to the class, in other words, its as good as your diversity statement makes it.

bboyspekz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
Here is an example of the way most law schools address disadvantaged:

"25.(Optional)Regardless of your ethnic background, If you feel you have been educationally, economically, socially, or historically disadvantaged and wish the Admissions Committee to consider this during the evaluation process check here" It goes on to say elsewhere that those who qualify will get a further review of their application.

I'm not saying that by any means those other tragedies are any less horific if not worse. Maybe you missed my point. I guess maybe I singled out 9/11 because I'm only applying to NY schools and perhaps they view it a bit differently than most of the US/World. Either way thanks for your input. =)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:40:43 PM »
Here is an example of the way most law schools address disadvantaged:

"25.(Optional)Regardless of your ethnic background, If you feel you have been educationally, economically, socially, or historically disadvantaged and wish the Admissions Committee to consider this during the evaluation process check here" It goes on to say elsewhere that those who qualify will get a further review of their application.

I'm not saying that by any means those other tragedies are any less horific if not worse. Maybe you missed my point. I guess maybe I singled out 9/11 because I'm only applying to NY schools and perhaps they view it a bit differently than most of the US/World. Either way thanks for your input. =)

There's no quantitative measure of who's had a more tragic or disadvantaged background! That's just silly. It's a decent topic for a PS/DS, but as long as it talks about YOU and the impact of said events on you, it will work. But don't write it just because you might get a sympathy vote. A stellar PS helps to increase your visibilty, but witnessing or experiencing a national (or natural, as with Katrina) disaster doesn't give you a free pass to AdmitLand or make you a "URM." It just shows how you would contribute to the diversity of the incoming class.
Vanderbilt 2010

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:52:42 PM »
Well, if Seinfeld is any measure of the real world, you will get a seat over someone else (unless they prove even greater tragedy) just like George lost an apartment to a surviver of the Andrea Doria.

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »
Yeah, the "bad break-up" guy gets it.