Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have to chuckle at AA  (Read 9895 times)

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
Re: I have to chuckle at AA
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2006, 01:39:17 AM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why people constantly do this?

If you want race removed from the equation and you want it based on money, you want consideration of economic variables; if you want race considered, you need the socio- in socioeconomic.  Right?  What am I missing?  Race is, by definition, a social factor, and the word socioeconomic is formed by combining social + economic.

Explain please!

Sorry but you're wrong. You're right that race is a social factor but it is by no means the only social factor. Families, peers and schools are social factors as well. If a white kid grew up in foster homes with abusive parents and went to poor schools then it is clear that he had a disadvantaged childhood. If a black kid grew up in Beverly Hills with a spinal surgeon father and an attorney for a mother, chances are he didn't have a very disadvantaged childhood. Obviously these are extreme examples. So when I say that I want it to be based on social variables with a racial exclusion, there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of racial minorities will still be helped since they tend to come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Did you fail the LSAT?

@#!* all of ya'll, I made an A+ on my LSAT, and with the bonus questions, I got a 120. Suck it.

I wonder if anyone actually does get a 120 on it. I'm sure some must but damn. I mean getting  15 questions right still gets you the lowest score possible on the test. Kinda ridiculous.

If it's really normalized, should be about the same as the number who make 180s.

No, what seems bizarre to me are the people who can answer questions right to the point of getting 130ish, but no more. It's better than just guessing, but it's like...huh?

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2006, 01:54:45 AM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why people constantly do this?

If you want race removed from the equation and you want it based on money, you want consideration of economic variables; if you want race considered, you need the socio- in socioeconomic.  Right?  What am I missing?  Race is, by definition, a social factor, and the word socioeconomic is formed by combining social + economic.

Explain please!

Sorry but you're wrong. You're right that race is a social factor but it is by no means the only social factor. Families, peers and schools are social factors as well. If a white kid grew up in foster homes with abusive parents and went to poor schools then it is clear that he had a disadvantaged childhood. If a black kid grew up in Beverly Hills with a spinal surgeon father and an attorney for a mother, chances are he didn't have a very disadvantaged childhood. Obviously these are extreme examples. So when I say that I want it to be based on social variables with a racial exclusion, there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of racial minorities will still be helped since they tend to come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Did you fail the LSAT?

@#!* all of ya'll, I made an A+ on my LSAT, and with the bonus questions, I got a 120. Suck it.

I wonder if anyone actually does get a 120 on it. I'm sure some must but damn. I mean getting  15 questions right still gets you the lowest score possible on the test. Kinda ridiculous.

If it's really normalized, should be about the same as the number who make 180s.

No, what seems bizarre to me are the people who can answer questions right to the point of getting 130ish, but no more. It's better than just guessing, but it's like...huh?

Well yes it SHOULD be, but when you consider that getting 15 right out of 100 still gets you an 100, it seems to me that there would be more people getting <=15 right out of 100 than there are people getting 99 or 100 out of 100( typical requisite scores for the 180), right?

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2006, 02:23:06 PM »

PLEASE IGNORE THE TROLLS PEOPLE.
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2006, 02:46:37 PM »
Well yes it SHOULD be, but when you consider that getting 15 right out of 100 still gets you an 100, it seems to me that there would be more people getting <=15 right out of 100 than there are people getting 99 or 100 out of 100( typical requisite scores for the 180), right?

Nah, self-selected bias and all. I figure the 120s are the people who go take the LSAT, spontaneously decide they don't really want to be lawyers, and neglect to cancel their scores. It's the 121s I don't get.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2006, 07:49:17 PM »
Wouldn't you get 120 for just showing up and putting your name on it? Or if you get NONE right, what score would you get?

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2006, 03:29:20 AM »
Wouldn't you get 120 for just showing up and putting your name on it? Or if you get NONE right, what score would you get?

You get a 120 guaranteed just for showing up and putting your name on it. You can answer 0 questions and get that score. To get to 121, you typically have to answer like 14+ questions correctly.

Big Bossman

• Cobb County GA baby...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »

"Nothing is more beautiful than the black woman"

That's why so many black men go for women of other races, right?  Black women are definitely at the bottom of the totem pole.

John Galt

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »

That's why so many black men go for women of other races, right?  Black women are definitely at the bottom of the totem pole.

tell that to white men.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2006, 09:32:41 PM »

tell that to white men.

Yep.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php