Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have to chuckle at AA  (Read 10106 times)

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I have to chuckle at AA
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 03:33:12 AM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race. This would appeal to disadvantaged people of every race and ensure that more disadvantaged people, regardless of their race, could fulfill their dreams. This would also get rid of posts like the one I am responding to in which the thread author describes a world where many African-Americans are rich and drive Jaguars, which we know is not the case. This new socioeconomic AA would still lift up a lot of racial minorities, but it would lift up other as well.

You should write your Personal Statement about this.

Are you being sarcastic?

If you are not being sarcastic and I am wrong, I apologize for assuming so. Why though would you suggest that I write my personal statement about this? I am not disadvantaged, I am from an upper class family, in fact, so my opinion on socioeconomic AA has very little to do with my own situation.

I'm sure law schools will appreciate your unique perspective on this issue.

So are you being sarcastic or not? It sounds like you're just pulling my chain, because a personal statement is supposed to be personal. But if you are not being sarcastic, then please just say one way or the other, and then we can discuss this further.

It's just so rare that upper class white people hold this opinion.  Usually, people take such simplistic views of AA.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 03:50:47 AM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race. This would appeal to disadvantaged people of every race and ensure that more disadvantaged people, regardless of their race, could fulfill their dreams. This would also get rid of posts like the one I am responding to in which the thread author describes a world where many African-Americans are rich and drive Jaguars, which we know is not the case. This new socioeconomic AA would still lift up a lot of racial minorities, but it would lift up other as well.

You should write your Personal Statement about this.

Are you being sarcastic?

If you are not being sarcastic and I am wrong, I apologize for assuming so. Why though would you suggest that I write my personal statement about this? I am not disadvantaged, I am from an upper class family, in fact, so my opinion on socioeconomic AA has very little to do with my own situation.

I'm sure law schools will appreciate your unique perspective on this issue.

So are you being sarcastic or not? It sounds like you're just pulling my chain, because a personal statement is supposed to be personal. But if you are not being sarcastic, then please just say one way or the other, and then we can discuss this further.

It's just so rare that upper class white people hold this opinion.  Usually, people take such simplistic views of AA.

I don't see why upper class white people would be unlikely to hold the opinion. In fact, I'd think that middle class white people would be much more likely to hold negative views of AA, because they have much more at stake. My dad already made it. He doesn't feel threatened in any way by AA. I understand that I won the genetic lottery and that poorer people have not had the educational opportunities or the upbringing that I have had. If it is socioeconomically based then I think it should be encouraged. This ensures that people who have actually been disadvantaged can have a shot at the good life. I understand that the white janitor's son needs more of a hand up than the son of Michael Jordan, just like I realize that the son of a black janitor needs more of a hand up than George Bush's son.

But how could I put this in my personal statement? Obviously it depends on what each school wants you to write about.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 06:52:27 PM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why people constantly do this?

If you want race removed from the equation and you want it based on money, you want consideration of economic variables; if you want race considered, you need the socio- in socioeconomic.  Right?  What am I missing?  Race is, by definition, a social factor, and the word socioeconomic is formed by combining social + economic.

Explain please!

Seconded, you grouchy bastard.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 06:58:55 PM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race.

If you want race removed from the equation and you want it based on money, you want consideration of economic variables; if you want race considered, you need the socio- in socioeconomic.  Right?  What am I missing?  Race is, by definition, a social factor, and the word socioeconomic is formed by combining social + economic.

Explain please!

Sorry but you're wrong. You're right that race is a social factor but it is by no means the only social factor. Families, peers and schools are social factors as well. If a white kid grew up in foster homes with abusive parents and went to poor schools then it is clear that he had a disadvantaged childhood. If a black kid grew up in Beverly Hills with a spinal surgeon father and an attorney for a mother, chances are he didn't have a very disadvantaged childhood. Obviously these are extreme examples. So when I say that I want it to be based on social variables with a racial exclusion, there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of racial minorities will still be helped since they tend to come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »

Explain please!

Sorry but you're wrong. You're right that race is a social factor but it is by no means the only social factor. Families, peers and schools are social factors as well. If a white kid grew up in foster homes with abusive parents and went to poor schools then it is clear that he had a disadvantaged childhood. If a black kid grew up in Beverly Hills with a spinal surgeon father and an attorney for a mother, chances are he didn't have a very disadvantaged childhood. Obviously these are extreme examples. So when I say that I want it to be based on social variables with a racial exclusion, there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of racial minorities will still be helped since they tend to come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Did you fail the LSAT?

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 08:14:20 PM »
I don't think i've heard that yet. But it would be interesting to hear one argument.

Read Clarence Thomas' dissents in the Michigan AA cases.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 08:17:46 PM »
What about poor or middle class blacks and "legal" hispanics? Where do they fit in? I really don't know where you all are meeting all these rich african americans and hispanics! I know it's not like that where I come from.....

I'm from Fairfax County/Alexandria VA and grew up with plenty of them.

That being said, I in no way mean to imply that these groups as a whole do not suffer from the socio-economic problems. After all, anacostia is just across the bridge from Alexandria.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »
I don't think i've heard that yet. But it would be interesting to hear one argument.

Don't even try to reason with Vinny.  It's a lost cause.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 08:21:58 PM »

Ehhh, I'm not trying to reason with anybody, just pointing out that one doesn't have to go far to find an anti-AA argument made by an african american.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 08:26:09 PM »

Ehhh, I'm not trying to reason with anybody, just pointing out that one doesn't have to go far to find an anti-AA argument made by an african american.

True.  Not that it makes any real difference.  hahahaha