Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have to chuckle at AA  (Read 9295 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I have to chuckle at AA
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:46:20 PM »
I don't think i've heard that yet. But it would be interesting to hear one argument.

I thought at first that ALL AA should be done away with, but after reading different analyses (sp?) on here I decided that Socio-economic AA might be the best approach to really help people that need it. I am still against race-based AA though.

Diecisiete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 05:01:19 AM »
There are certainly some points/thoughts I'd like to bring up, even though I think this is a flame.

1) The term "Hispanic" is an ambiguous term that cannot capture the range in experiences of the various Latino groups in the United States. Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Central Americans cannot be lumped together in order to search for similarities because they are very different. I've written a thesis and 3 other significant papers (along with personal experience) so I can go into more detail if needed.   

2) I don't usually encounter many Latinos who call themselves "Hispanic."

3) The majority of immigrants, whether documented or not, pay taxes.

4) I'm curious to what constitutes the "silver platter" you are referring to

5) Having attended an Ivy League university, I knew "rich" Latino or African-American student, but these students were the exception. Most of the Latino (myself included) and African-American students came from under-resourced communities.

To the OP: You're entitled to have your opinions on the matter, but I think you are severely ill informed.
CLS 2L

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 07:41:48 AM »
Any system, AA included, can be abused by people who aren't really the ones intended to benefit from it. I know pretty damn well that if I had any form of system that would make it easier for me to get into a top law school, I'd take advantage of every single one of them. Maybe it isn't fair, but it's your life and you play the best card you got, anyone would.

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with an AA system, it has been debated for some time in Norway and rest of Europe as well, but the general consensus is that we don't want it. This included the minorities who would benefit from it actually. It's fairly much an agreement on people being judged by their skills and talents, not their background.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
yes, we HAVE gotten this far, shouldn't that mean anything? getting this far in itself should show that someone can do it without the AA. And if they got as far as they are WITH AA, then it needs to removed from the other areas as well.

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 08:57:21 AM »
There are certainly some points/thoughts I'd like to bring up, even though I think this is a flame.

1) The term "Hispanic" is an ambiguous term that cannot capture the range in experiences of the various Latino groups in the United States. Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Central Americans cannot be lumped together in order to search for similarities because they are very different. I've written a thesis and 3 other significant papers (along with personal experience) so I can go into more detail if needed.   

2) I don't usually encounter many Latinos who call themselves "Hispanic."

3) The majority of immigrants, whether documented or not, pay taxes.

4) I'm curious to what constitutes the "silver platter" you are referring to

5) Having attended an Ivy League university, I knew "rich" Latino or African-American student, but these students were the exception. Most of the Latino (myself included) and African-American students came from under-resourced communities.

To the OP: You're entitled to have your opinions on the matter, but I think you are severely ill informed.

we all have our own personal experiences and im not sure that qualifies as ill informed. the few urms i was close with in school were basically all from families with at least one jd/md and clearly at least upper middle class. looking at what data's out there the numbers of truly "poor" or under-resourced students at top schools is essentially neglible, most have a median family income of ~150,000 or 3 times the national average. thinking back to an economist article about inequality in the us i believe it was something like 25 rich students for every poor one.
Emory '09

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 02:17:07 AM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race. This would appeal to disadvantaged people of every race and ensure that more disadvantaged people, regardless of their race, could fulfill their dreams. This would also get rid of posts like the one I am responding to in which the thread author describes a world where many African-Americans are rich and drive Jaguars, which we know is not the case. This new socioeconomic AA would still lift up a lot of racial minorities, but it would lift up other as well.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 02:33:34 AM »
I personally think that AA should be solely based on socioeconomic variables, and without as much of an emphasis on race. This would appeal to disadvantaged people of every race and ensure that more disadvantaged people, regardless of their race, could fulfill their dreams. This would also get rid of posts like the one I am responding to in which the thread author describes a world where many African-Americans are rich and drive Jaguars, which we know is not the case. This new socioeconomic AA would still lift up a lot of racial minorities, but it would lift up other as well.

You should write your Personal Statement about this.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 02:47:35 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

If you are not being sarcastic and I am wrong, I apologize for assuming so. Why though would you suggest that I write my personal statement about this? I am not disadvantaged, I am from an upper class family, in fact, so my opinion on socioeconomic AA has very little to do with my own situation.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 02:58:37 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

If you are not being sarcastic and I am wrong, I apologize for assuming so. Why though would you suggest that I write my personal statement about this? I am not disadvantaged, I am from an upper class family, in fact, so my opinion on socioeconomic AA has very little to do with my own situation.

I'm sure law schools will appreciate your unique perspective on this issue.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 03:29:37 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

I'm sure law schools will appreciate your unique perspective on this issue.

So are you being sarcastic or not? It sounds like you're just pulling my chain, because a personal statement is supposed to be personal. But if you are not being sarcastic, then please just say one way or the other, and then we can discuss this further.