my second ellipses had 4 periods in it; please don't hurt me...  :-[

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University at Buffalo Law School & its typos in recruiting materials
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2004, 10:47:40 PM »
"Nationally known for our clinical programs, concentrations, and interdisciplinary approach; you will graduate with the skills to work in all facets of the law."

Again with the misused semi-colon.

Not exactly -- The semicolon is used to shift the focus of the sentence.  It also prevents the sentence from being misread.

If a semicolon is being used, both sides of the semicolon should be grammatically complete sentences.  An exception would be the list example I gave earlier.  In the UB sentence, a list precedes the semicolon, and it is not a complete sentence.  A comma would not cause the sentence to be misread because of the "and" symbolizing that the list is coming to a close with that last item (in this case, the "interdisciplinary approach").

You cite the rule that is applicable to semicolon use 90% of the time.  In case you're wondering, I can support that statistic by citing numerous case studies.  :)  As you can see from my other posts, there are exceptions.  I swear that I'm not some grammar-obsessed troll.  I just recognized a fellow type-A in you, and wanted to be sure that you could always be right in the future.  ;D

Thank you for the education :)  I'm not usually this anal; it's just because it's material coming from law schools.  I'm really good about not being the annoying person who corrects other people's grammar errors usually.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:27 PM »
holy f-ing hell... two pages of grammar comments?  :o .... i need to step out

my second ellipses had 4 periods in it; please don't hurt me...  :-[

Jakia and I will let it slide, but only this once.  Count carefully next time ;)

bj47

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2004, 02:01:12 AM »
To change the subject a little bit:
More egregious than the myriad typing errors (especially since I didn't actually read the material) was the fact that Buffalo's envelope read "New York's Premier Law School."

I think Columbia, NYU, and Cornell might challenge that point.

Tom

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2004, 05:38:01 AM »
I honestly don't think that Buffalo is such a bad place to live.
If HYS were there I would apply in a second, but not to UB LS.

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 10:10:42 AM »
Sophomore year, my roommate used to go through the school paper with a red pen every week and mail it to the editors.  The obvious typos and grammar errors drove her crazy.  After about a semester of this, the editors got in contact with her, she'll be editor-in-chief this year.  I guess being a grammar nerd is a good thing!

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2004, 06:53:38 AM »
Why all the dumping on Buffalo.  I doubt the admissions office did the printing of the material?  I've received annual reports from Fortune 500 companies with worse typos than what people here are mentioning.  It doesn't look nice, I agree but that doesn't take away from the school's worth. 

I visited the UB law school.  Hell, as a NY resident, the tuition is a steal.  Even when I factor in room, board, books and expenses, the total for all of these items come to 5 or 6 grand less than tuition alone at any Manhattan School.

It has an excellent library, modern court room on site, and a great faculty.  It is genuinely committed to diversity and actively courts non-traditional students.
So the weather in Buffalo is lousy.  I don't care because during 1L, if I'm not in class, I'll be in the library studying.

I have a feeling that if the school was in Manhattan, it's rating would be much higher than it is.

It's one of my safety schools and I would be quite content to go there.

Rachel

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 04:14:39 PM »
To change the subject a little bit:
More egregious than the myriad typing errors (especially since I didn't actually read the material) was the fact that Buffalo's envelope read "New York's Premier Law School."

I think Columbia, NYU, and Cornell might challenge that point.

Ooh yes, I thought that too when I saw the envelope.  I guess I just forgot after seeing the grammatical and spelling errors.

And in response to the later postings, I'm not bagging on Buffalo at all.  I've never been there, so I'm in no position to criticize.

And Tom, I would apply to HYS if they were in Buffalo too, but not because Buffalo is necessarily not "such a bad place to live"; rather, I would apply to those schools even in spite of their locations.  Nobody says New Haven is a nice area.

M2

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 04:18:09 PM »
Well considering i couldn't find anyting wrong with the first two excerpts...perhaps I shouldn't comment.

Are you an english major?
Are you sure that you are correct?

Lexy wanna chime in? haha

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2004, 04:20:14 PM »
Well considering i couldn't find anyting wrong with the first two excerpts...

Are you an english major?
Are you sure that you are correct?

Lexy wanna chime in? haha

I think Lexy should definitely chime in.  I was not an English major, but my major was very grammar intensive (just not English grammar; I was a Classics major, which means I studied Latin for 3.5 years and ancient Greek for 2 years).