Law School Discussion

University at Buffalo Law School & its typos in recruiting materials

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone else get a packet from them yesterday?  And anyone else tempted to return it to them with red pen markings?

"In addition to your LSAT score and academic achievements; your personal statement, book essays, letters of recommendation and extracurricular activities will weigh heavily in the decision-making process."

I know semi-colons are great and all, but don't misuse them.

"This coupled with Buffalo's modest cost-of-living, makes UB an obvious choice."

Where's the other comma?

"Nationally known for our clinical programs, concentrations, and interdisciplinary approach; you will graduate with the skills to work in all facets of the law."

Again with the misused semi-colon.

There were also clauses that probably should have been separated with commas from the rest of the sentence, but I'll skip those and go straight to the killer:

On the actual application...

"Part V: Requireed Book Essay."

Will I have bad karma if I mail the packet back to them with corrections made in red pen?   ;)  Seriously, though, did no one proofread these materials before they were sent out?

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University at Buffalo Law School
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 11:23:49 PM »
Just for the record, I wouldn't actually mail it back with corrections.  I don't want people thinking I'm a jerk.  At least not over this...  ;)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 11:57:30 PM »
No... of course not! But don't even put that red pen to paper! ;)

I can't even make corrections for fun?  :(

I found a couple grammatical errors in Newsweek once and considered marking it up with a red pen and mailing it back to them with my resume :)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 12:03:46 AM »
:) They might dig that! But, can you say OC?

No... of course not! But don't even put that red pen to paper! ;)

I can't even make corrections for fun?  :(

I found a couple grammatical errors in Newsweek once and considered marking it up with a red pen and mailing it back to them with my resume :)

I thought you meant Orange County at first, and I wanted to know what gave away my OC roots by that statement.  But yes, I'm also somewhat obsessive compulsive.  I think it would be very clever though, nonetheless :)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 12:12:16 AM »
Only somewhat?  ::)

::stands up::  Hi, I'm Pookie, and I'm obsessive-compulsive.

Crowd: Hi, Pookie.

Feels good to get that off my chest :)

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: University at Buffalo Law School & its typos in recruiting materials
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 07:00:49 AM »
I'm from Buffalo and I hate it there.  If my family weren't there, I don't think I'd ever go back.  It just figures that they give out the impression that they do.  I'm definitely not surprised, for some reason...

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 08:50:45 AM »
My dad had offered to let me come back home and live for free if I went to UB law.  I politely declined.  And when I jokingly brought up the suggestion to my bf that we could both live for free in Buffalo for 3 years, he winced.   ::)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 10:45:51 AM »
Ha! No modifier this time!

OT: Not that you wouldn't fit in at Yale or anything, but why would you wanna leave this part of the world for that?

::stands up::  Hi, I'm Pookie, and I'm obsessive-compulsive.

Crowd: Hi, Pookie.

Feels good to get that off my chest :)

Because it's Yale.  I'd want to go there even if it were in Siberia.

Naval Aviator

• Goin vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »
I will red mark it and send it back to them. I will make them feel guilty. Besides, the karma is on them

SNUGGLE

• Get some, get some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 02:42:54 PM »
Anyone else get a packet from them yesterday?  And anyone else tempted to return it to them with red pen markings?

"In addition to your LSAT score and academic achievements; your personal statement, book essays, letters of recommendation and extracurricular activities will weigh heavily in the decision-making process."

I know semi-colons are great and all, but don't misuse them.

"This coupled with Buffalo's modest cost-of-living, makes UB an obvious choice."

Where's the other comma?

"Nationally known for our clinical programs, concentrations, and interdisciplinary approach; you will graduate with the skills to work in all facets of the law."

Again with the misused semi-colon.

There were also clauses that probably should have been separated with commas from the rest of the sentence, but I'll skip those and go straight to the killer:

On the actual application...

"Part V: Requireed Book Essay."

Will I have bad karma if I mail the packet back to them with corrections made in red pen?   ;)  Seriously, though, did no one proofread these materials before they were sent out?

SNUGGLE thinks you have way, WAY too much free time.