Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGill, GPA's and LSAT  (Read 20692 times)

warholmuse

• Sr. Citizen
  • 'I'd rather have a bottle than a frontal lobotomy'
    • View Profile
Re: McGill, GPA's and LSAT
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2006, 02:43:52 AM »
I generally agree with most of your thoughts. I would say it takes more insane studying and perhaps hard work to get As in areas such as physics or engineering, and a lot of the time students are not able to reach that high level. However, areas such as English or political science may take less hardcore studying and less hard work in general, but profs rarely give out very high marks (85% and above) even when the student produces high quality work.

In other words, more hard work and perhaps, brain power is needed to get high marks in areas such as engineering and physics, but such marks (85% and above) are more likely to be given in those areas than in areas such as English.

Therefore, the overall average for a program like physics may be lower than a program like English, but the top students in physics are likely to have higher marks than the top students in English.

All in all, i really admire students in programs like physics and engineering. I see their textbooks and it's pretty insane. And they do study like mad dogs. But then again, writing a 3500-4000 word essay on Crusade and Jihad, as i am doing now, takes a lot out of you.  8)
If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2006, 01:24:10 PM »
The LSAT is required, but McGill puts emphasis on the GPA.  Check their website if you want to know more.

Actually, the LSAT is NOT required at all. If you do it, they will consider it as a factor, but they do not require applicants to do the LSAT.

And basically, it's a tough school to get into. I would equate to being the closest thing to an Ivy League school in Canada (along with UofT). 

Actually, McGill was an Ivy League school in much earlier times, before it was decided that Ivy League schools would be American only.

McGill was never an Ivy League. The Ivy League is an NCAA sports conference. McGill has never participated in NCAA division 1. That said, most people consider it on par with an Ivy League education.
VIP.

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
Yeah Id like to second that. McGill was NEVER been in the formal ivy league (1950s) or the informal athletic conference for the original 9 colonies and Army, Navy, Rutgers, and William and Mary. That said, McGill did often play against ivy schools namely Harvard.

Also, I wouldnt agree with the statement that McGIll provides an ivy caliber education. The Ivy League has many unique charactersitics that transcend beyond academic quality however it may be defined. Extremely sizeable endowments and low undergrad populations change the entire scope of education. I would equate McGill, as a public school, to top US state schools such as Michigan, Illinois, or the UC's which are often called "public ivies"

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2006, 02:57:55 AM »
Yeah Id like to second that. McGill was NEVER been in the formal ivy league (1950s) or the informal athletic conference for the original 9 colonies and Army, Navy, Rutgers, and William and Mary. That said, McGill did often play against ivy schools namely Harvard.

Also, I wouldnt agree with the statement that McGIll provides an ivy caliber education. The Ivy League has many unique charactersitics that transcend beyond academic quality however it may be defined. Extremely sizeable endowments and low undergrad populations change the entire scope of education. I would equate McGill, as a public school, to top US state schools such as Michigan, Illinois, or the UC's which are often called "public ivies"

I'd say McGill carries the reputation of an IVY although the academics might be slightly below. Btw, modern football was borne out of a game between McGill and Harvard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football#McGill_v._Harvard.2C_1874_.26_Harvard_v._Yale.2C_1875
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2006, 03:09:40 AM »
From my experience, it's only those who attend/have attended McGill that try to argue it carries the reputation of an Ivy.

It doesn't.  Get over it.  It's not a big deal.  It's still a great school.

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2006, 07:04:49 PM »
Yes, McGill and Harvard played the first football game. No, McGill was never in the Ivy League.

And again, noone is questioning McGill's academic caliber. I just believe there is a distinct experiential difference between the Ivies and top state schools. That said, McGill is very well-known internationally, probably better known than less research-based ivies like Dartmouth and Penn.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2006, 12:48:35 AM »
From my experience, it's only those who attend/have attended McGill that try to argue it carries the reputation of an Ivy.

It doesn't.  Get over it.  It's not a big deal.  It's still a great school.

I'm glad I went there. That's all that matters.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2006, 12:01:25 AM »
Football? Really? And they still waste time and efforts claiming the first hockey game was played on the main grounds? Sheesh!
Penn (2007)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2006, 12:30:47 AM »
Football? Really? And they still waste time and efforts claiming the first hockey game was played on the main grounds? Sheesh!

hahahahahaha

Well, I'll give them this much: it was hockey that led them to football via rugby in the first place.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2007, 09:26:53 AM »
McGill is not on par with U of T.  Sorry to say.

McGill is certainly on par with U of T law. Is U of T considered the toughest law school in Canada to get into? @#!* ya! But just as Harvard is still comparable to say NYU even if Harvard is tougher to get into (in general) and a little more prestigious, you can def. compare U of T to Mcgill - they're the two premier Canadian law schools.

Oh this is precious.  NYU is on par with Harvard?

Jesus.  Stay away from all that *&^%.  hahaahha