Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGill, GPA's and LSAT  (Read 20522 times)

Elemental

• T
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: McGill, GPA's and LSAT
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 07:59:22 PM »

Anyways, I'm also worried that my 3.44 and 164 LSAT might no be enough to get into McGil. I'm getting my bachelor's from McGill in electrical engineering. Can't wait!

I think you still got a shot!  ;)

A 3.44 in a difficult degree program (i.e. NOT Arts) is not easy, and a GPA in the 85th percentile is even better

bobotheclown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 07:40:51 PM »
The LSAT is required, but McGill puts emphasis on the GPA.  Check their website if you want to know more.

Actually, the LSAT is NOT required at all. If you do it, they will consider it as a factor, but they do not require applicants to do the LSAT.

And basically, it's a tough school to get into. I would equate to being the closest thing to an Ivy League school in Canada (along with UofT). 

Actually, McGill was an Ivy League school in much earlier times, before it was decided that Ivy League schools would be American only.

McGill is not on par with U of T.  Sorry to say.

It IS, however, MUCH cheaper.  Which is awesome.

No offense, but you lost any credibility on this subject after you made the erroneous claim that the LSAT is required.

Now, let me preface the rest of my post by saying that I don't attend McGill law school.

That said, McGill is certainly on par with U of T law. Is U of T considered the toughest law school in Canada to get into? @#!* ya! But just as Harvard is still comparable to say NYU even if Harvard is tougher to get into (in general) and a little more prestigious, you can def. compare U of T to Mcgill - they're the two premier Canadian law schools.

McGill seems to put a huge emphasis on GPA even if your lsat is killer. IE if you have a 3.65 gpa and a 164 lsat your chances seem better if you hold a 3.9 gpa with no lsat or even a "subpar" lsat like 157 or so. This is based on numbers of friends who got into Mcgill law and others who got rejected.

As far as the French...well, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Based on the level of French that my friends can speak, I wouldn't be too worried about the not so tough French component.

Hope that helps.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »
bobo the clown.  How apt.

McGill is not on par with U of T.  Sorry to say.

It IS, however, MUCH cheaper.  Which is awesome.

No offense, but you lost any credibility on this subject after you made the erroneous claim that the LSAT is required.

Right.  A single erroneous (irrelevant) claim equals entirely inaccurate argument.  From the start of this post, you already prove to be quite thick.

Also, it turns out the claim isn't that erroneous.  If you have written the LSAT, it is required that you report it to McGill.  And, considering the OP is probably applying to more schools than just McGill, he/she's likely to have written the LSAT.

Clown.

Now, let me preface the rest of my post by saying that I don't attend McGill law school.

That said, McGill is certainly on par with U of T law. Is U of T considered the toughest law school in Canada to get into? @#!* ya! But just as Harvard is still comparable to say NYU even if Harvard is tougher to get into (in general) and a little more prestigious, you can def. compare U of T to Mcgill - they're the two premier Canadian law schools.

HA!

1.  Your analogy is terrible, because it proves my point.  Harvard isn't comparable to NYU on many levels.  They're similar, but they're not close enough.

2.  In terms of everything but European name recognition and Quebec law, U of T beats McGill. 

Look, clearly these are the two premier schools in Canada.  That said, if you want an analogy, McGill is more like a mid-range T14 while U of T is Harvard.  It's more difficult to get into, its scope is greater, and its placement more extensive.     

McGill seems to put a huge emphasis on GPA even if your lsat is killer. IE if you have a 3.65 gpa and a 164 lsat your chances seem better if you hold a 3.9 gpa with no lsat or even a "subpar" lsat like 157 or so. This is based on numbers of friends who got into Mcgill law and others who got rejected.

This isn't disputed.

As far as the French...well, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Based on the level of French that my friends can speak, I wouldn't be too worried about the not so tough French component.

Hope that helps.

Nor is this.  That said, you still need at least a basic knowledge of the language to get by.  Nothing extensive, though.

However, you're still a f-ing clown. 

HTHXOXO
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 08:39:19 PM »
In terms of everything but European name recognition and Quebec law, U of T beats McGill. 

Isn't that what matters the most?
Penn (2007)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »
 :D :D :D

You're right.  How am I going to get that job in Brussels?
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 02:34:01 AM »
:D :D :D

You're right.  How am I going to get that job in Brussels?

McGill best in Europe. Harvard best in Asia.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 02:38:49 AM »
Thanks Elemental for saying that I still have a chance. I actually quite like my chances to McGill.
Btw, how did you figure that a 3.44 is a 85th percentile? Just calculated the average for my classes, the average gpa for the classes I attended at McGill electrical engineering is 2.95. No idea if that's high or low. especially compared to American universities.

Anyways, from what i've heard, McGill does nto require the LSAT because it is unfair to make prospective French speaking students do a standard test in their second language and use it as a comparison.

Also in the U of T vs McGill argument. I think both command great reputations. And attending either schools would be a good one. Definitely comparable to a T14 school. But U of T does have more stringent requirements for admission number wise. But McGill teaches civil law as well, and if you want practice in Quebec you better have that. Plus there are many countries in the world that uses civil law as well.

Bottom line, I'd be happy at either U of T or Mcgill.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 02:41:06 AM »
Now, seriously, for non-Quebec and North American law, McGill isn't really on par with UofT. The tuition UofT Law charges is an indication of its prestige. Having low tuition has caused Osgoode Hall (and, of course, its association with York didn't help) to decline. McGill will start to feel the heat as they are not able to compete for the best profs without more provincial funding or ability to raise the tuition significantly.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 02:48:34 AM »
Bottom line, I'd be happy at either U of T or Mcgill.

Good luck on the application, by the way. You do have a shot; I suspect being in a tough engineering programme definitely helps, not only because of the slightly lower average GPA, but also because that diversity in the class is highly sought after.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 02:50:52 AM »
Plus schools usually give add a few points to their own grads applying to law school
Penn (2007)