Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGill, GPA's and LSAT  (Read 20775 times)

June

• View Profile
    • Email
McGill, GPA's and LSAT
« on: August 09, 2006, 01:05:48 AM »
I have a low GPA from my undergrad, but am doing really well on LSAT practice exams. applying to law schools for September 2007. what are my chances for McGill. im worried that the LSAT is not required.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: McGill, GPA's and LSAT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:39:04 AM »
The LSAT is required, but McGill puts emphasis on the GPA.  Check their website if you want to know more.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

FlashInThePan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:48:23 AM »
I'm pretty certain for McGill they require you to be bilingual since there will be some exams in French. That's what turned me off since I haven't taken French since grade 10.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:49:19 AM »
how the whole Canadian system works.

Divide the money by 20, multiply the civility by 50. And great maple syrup.
Penn (2007)

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:51:42 AM »
From their website:

"All applicants must have substantial reading ability in, and aural comprehension of, both English and French."

Aural?
Penn (2007)

Elemental

• T
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »
The LSAT is required, but McGill puts emphasis on the GPA.  Check their website if you want to know more.

Actually, the LSAT is NOT required at all. If you do it, they will consider it as a factor, but they do not require applicants to do the LSAT.

And basically, it's a tough school to get into. I would equate to being the closest thing to an Ivy League school in Canada (along with UofT). 

Actually, McGill was an Ivy League school in much earlier times, before it was decided that Ivy League schools would be American only.

Elemental

• T
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:15 AM »
From their website:

"All applicants must have substantial reading ability in, and aural comprehension of, both English and French."

Aural?

Interesting.  You only need to be able to understand it.  Reading and hearing, mind you, but no speaking or writing?

Yup, thats right. The thing is, any student is allowed to answer questions (on exams or in-class) in either language.  However, some of the material presented in classes will be taught in French, and some of the textbooks are French as well, hence the need to have reading and aural comprehension skills.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »

Actually, the LSAT is NOT required at all. If you do it, they will consider it as a factor, but they do not require applicants to do the LSAT.

And basically, it's a tough school to get into. I would equate to being the closest thing to an Ivy League school in Canada (along with UofT). 

Actually, McGill was an Ivy League school in much earlier times, before it was decided that Ivy League schools would be American only.

McGill is not on par with U of T.  Sorry to say.

It IS, however, MUCH cheaper.  Which is awesome.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Elemental

• T
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »

McGill is not on par with U of T.  Sorry to say.

It IS, however, MUCH cheaper.  Which is awesome.

No need to be sorry, lol... I don't go to McGill, and have no plans to either.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 08:54:45 PM »
hey june

Did you try the French proficiency self-test on the Mcgill Website? having lived in the province for 15 years I thought it was a joke even if i attended English school throughout.

My LSAT teacher also said that students make English notes for French documents and then share them. So even if you can't read french you might be ok.

Anyways, I'm also worried that my 3.44 and 164 LSAT might no be enough to get into McGil. I'm getting my bachelor's from McGill in electrical engineering. Can't wait!
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.