Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGill, GPA's and LSAT  (Read 19115 times)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: McGill, GPA's and LSAT
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 08:36:52 PM »
"1.  The Top-Law-School Rankings, which I think is an amalgamation from a variety of different sources, although I can't be sure (and it must be noted that, from memory, it looks very similar to the last MacLean's ratings)"

I'm going to make a website called "really great law schools" and put up my own rankings without any background info.  Maybe you can quote my rankings as well.

"2.  The Canadian Lawyer Magazine report card on law institutions in Canada, which surveys 500 recent graduates on their experience.  A different view, I'd say."

This survey is useless:
1)self-selection
2)insufficient respondees
3)based completely on limited perceptions

Meh.  It's all I had to work with.  I'll post the MacLean's ratings if/when I find them.

Also, I don't necessarily think the survey is useless.  It at least paints a picture of graduate experiences.  Maybe useless as a survey, per se, but a useful narrative, nevertheless.

Either way, I concur with the last few posts in this thread.  I also hereby vow my full support to the ALAMAR rankings, which are clearly superior to and more prestigious than all other rankings combined.

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

farouk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »
All Hail ALAMAR!!!!!

Make our decisions for us!!

bobotheclown

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 11:58:15 PM »

If you knew anything about me, you'd likely find this remark quite funny.

I don't. But I still got a chuckle.

Bobo

PS, what's this about Roberto Alomar?

thegourmetpig

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
you people are all insane and don't know what you're talking about. BUT, just to throw my two cents (which are extremely relevant here). i had a 3.18 GPA and a 164 LSAT, and I got into mcgill, even though my application was late. i barely got into wisconsin in the US school i applied to. a few T20 waitlists, but that was about it.
Michigan '12

rizz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up baby I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 03:07:20 PM »
you people are all insane and don't know what you're talking about. BUT, just to throw my two cents (which are extremely relevant here). i had a 3.18 GPA and a 164 LSAT, and I got into mcgill, even though my application was late. i barely got into wisconsin in the US school i applied to. a few T20 waitlists, but that was about it.

May I ask what were your extra currics and year trends? 3.18 sounds very low for a school that weights GPA so heavily.

thegourmetpig

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 10:43:01 AM »
ok. a couple of caveats to this...went to a very selective and very difficult school in the US for undergrad. LOTS of ECs, and especially leadership. and no, i was not in a frat. my work experience after college is also very impressive. and my GPA the last two years is a 3.6, and same in my major. personal problems hindered my GPA my first two years, and this was explained in a letter.

but still. 3.18, 164. mcgill begged me to come. and i'm from montreal, so it's not because they would be getting my higher tuition money.
Michigan '12

bandaidstick

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »
Your LSAT is a bit low for penn and nyu . . . and your gpa is really low for both schools - even at a 3.6. I can't speak to McGill. good luck! Honesty is not fun, but hey, I'm not in Penn's league either, so it's nothing I'm not experiencing too.

thegourmetpig

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »
I got a 171 this time around.
Michigan '12

warholmuse

• Sr. Citizen
  • 'I'd rather have a bottle than a frontal lobotomy'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »

Anyways, I'm also worried that my 3.44 and 164 LSAT might no be enough to get into McGil. I'm getting my bachelor's from McGill in electrical engineering. Can't wait!

I think you still got a shot!  ;)

A 3.44 in a difficult degree program (i.e. NOT Arts) is not easy, and a GPA in the 85th percentile is even better

Although i really admire those in so-called "tough" programs like engineering, i'd have to disgaree with your inference that getting a high mark in the ARTS is easy. Actually i would say it's harder to get a high gpa in a program like English than it is to get a high gpa in a program like Health Sciences or maths.
If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 03:53:47 PM »

Anyways, I'm also worried that my 3.44 and 164 LSAT might no be enough to get into McGil. I'm getting my bachelor's from McGill in electrical engineering. Can't wait!

I think you still got a shot!  ;)

A 3.44 in a difficult degree program (i.e. NOT Arts) is not easy, and a GPA in the 85th percentile is even better

Although i really admire those in so-called "tough" programs like engineering, i'd have to disgaree with your inference that getting a high mark in the ARTS is easy. Actually i would say it's harder to get a high gpa in a program like English than it is to get a high gpa in a program like Health Sciences or maths.

Don't even try to convince him/her.  People are blind to these sorts of things.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.