Law School Discussion

"Reason for leaving" a job

"Reason for leaving" a job
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:20 PM »
I have a question about the sections where you are asked to list your full-time jobs. I've been out of college a year and worked at my first job for six months, and have been at my current job since then. The first position was a fine job and I wasn't planning to leave so soon, but I got an amazing opportunity which is both a lot more responsibility and much more prestigious and closely tied to my area of interest. (I'm planning on staying at this job until I start law school.) Anyway, what's the most kosher way of fitting that "reason for leaving" into those little boxes - Can you say something like "More exciting opportunity"?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: "Reason for leaving" a job
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:40:08 AM »
I think it would be better to put the reason as Greater Responsibility or something like that.  That shows your specific reasoning, as opposed to more excitiing opportunity, which can mean a million different things.  The first shows you as a responsible person who has grown career-wise and isn't afraid to take on new challenges.  The second may be interpreted as someone who is immature and cannot commit to a job once the initial thrill has worn off and is just looking for the 'next big thing'.

LittleGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »
I'm still in undergrad, so the majority of my jobs are internships that were set up to last a pre-specified amount of time (ie: summer, or just for a semester). What would be an appropriate way to word this for "reason for leaving?" "Fall internship only"??

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:41:22 PM »
Most importantly, don't overexplain the change. You'll come off as excessively emotional, trying to hide something, or just plain crazy. "Professional growth" "Increased responsibility" and "Diversify skills" are phrases that convey rational reasons for changing jobs. "Excitement" conveys more emotion than I would deem necessary (and it sounds like BS anyways, unless you were offered a job test-piloting jets or something). Flesh them out with a specific or two and move on to the more important sections of the application.