Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible topic  (Read 283 times)

bunny

• View Profile
Possible topic
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm considering writing about how I started my own business 6 years ago because I can't think of any other major accomplishments.  My problem is twofold-First, how to make it exciting to read? Second, how to explain why I want to go to law school instead of continuing full time in what I do now?  I feel like I will have to address this because of the amount of time in business and law is a career change in the opposite direction.

Is this a poor topic choice?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Possible topic
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:46:13 PM »
I think you should definitely explain why you are applying to law school because that is a question that the admissions people will be asking.  Perhaps try talking about the things that made you want to start your own business in the first place (ambition, independence, quest for novelty) and how those same qualities now are driving you to go to law school?  I wouldn't worry about it being boring...as long as you don't just repeat what is on your resume and write well, it should be interesting. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »
It shows leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, overcoming an obstacle: starting and maintaining a successful business is a huge risk, and hopefully-- you can show how it provided a launchpad for your interest in ________ law. I say go for it. It is all in your how you word it words away from a PS about --say-- riding llamas during your study abroad semester in Argentina! I'd be happy to read it if you want a second opinion.
Vanderbilt 2010

bunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:59:55 PM »
Thanks.  Once I get it going I may take you up on that. :)