Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LORs for the quiet girl in the back  (Read 924 times)

kelley123

• View Profile
LORs for the quiet girl in the back
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
So here is my dilemma. I'm going to be senior. I've done reasonably well in my classes but am not a big one for talking in class. Its not that I'm not prepared or don't know what's going on, its just that unlike many of my other classmates, i don't talk during class to hear the sound of my own voice or try to impress the professor with my many travels of the world. I only talk/answer questions on occasion, but I'd like to think that when I do they're insightful.

Anyways, because of my general quietness, I haven't made a huge impression on many of my profs, and only really feel comfortable asking one and I know I need at least 2 academic LORs. Should I just ask for LORs from profs that taught courses I did well in in the past and hope for the best? Or should I wait for my fall classes and really try and make a good impression in the first month or so and then ask them to write a LOR in Oct/Nov?

Any advice at all would be helpful...thanks!!
<3 Temple, USD, Loyola Chicago$, Pace$$, St. Louis$$
<?3 (WL)  AU, UMD, Brooklyn
</3 Fordham, BC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kelley123

Lorelai Gilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'll lead, you can follow.
    • View Profile
Re: LORs for the quiet girl in the back
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:30:03 PM »
I would go to that professor's office hours that you're considering and talk to him about it.  Candidly ask him if he feels he could write you a personal LOR, explaining that you'd love to sit down and talk to him about your law school goals, past experiences, all that jazz.  This way even if all he knows know is that you were smart enough to do well in his class - tell him "I took your so-and-so class and really loved it.  I worked very hard to get that "insert grade here", but really enjoyed the work" - he will also know more about you as a person.  Ask him if he would like to see your past papers or tests if they were essay format if he is on the fence, and you really don't have other profs to ask. 
Cornell Law

LionelHutz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:30:07 PM »
I definetely agree with everything diamond said.

it could be as simple as visiting in the office hours and chatting, going over some questions. Most professors love to talk with students and be involved.

I also tend to be quieter, but am surprised at my relationships with professors. Even though i don't talk much in class, they know my work from tests and other activities. And I go to a VERY large university.

You still might be able to do a number of things. Take another class with a professor from the past, try to TA, get a job on campus with a professor, volunteer (service learning type stuff). If all else fails, go to a professor who taught a class you did really well in, and just give him some of your old papers.

RainbowBrite

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:30:42 PM »
I, like Mr. Hutz above, was surprised by the ease of getting recommendations even though I tend to be quiet in class (I was even offered one by one of my profs, go figure!). I also second the advice to try to take a class in the fall with a prof you have had before. You can ask them for a recommendation at the end of Sept or in Oct after having been an active participant since the beginning of the term and that is how they will remember you and write about you. Go to their office hours, chat with them, give them your PS, DS, statement of purpose, resume, papers you wrote for them, whatever you think is appropriate. Talk about your goals and experiences. Chances are if your work product was good they will remember you (even if it takes re-reading it). Being quiet is not the kiss of death for LORs!