Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gender and high-powered jobs  (Read 809 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
gender and high-powered jobs
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

h2xblive

Re: gender and high-powered jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
I'm a guy and I've thought about the concept of work vs. family many times. 

I think taking lots of time off before law school is only a good idea if you're not sure that law school is really for you or you need to save some money.  Life is extremely short, and a few years of lost income that could have been invested and used for an earlier retirement is obviously more than just "priceless."

In BigLaw, I'm not afriad to assume that you will have to sacrifice either your personal or business life.  If you're lucky, the sacrifice won't hurt either, but most likely it will.  I just hope that I don't give up a promising legal career for a wonderful woman...then end up resenting her for it; or vice versa.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »
This is something I worry about all the time.

It took me ten years to figure out that law school was for me. About the same time, I met my fiance. We're getting married in March and with luck, I'll start law school next August. And we both want kids.

The idea of trying to balance it all is precisely why I'm looking at affordable options, and also have no desire to ever work BigLaw.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 03:40:55 PM »
Boss: If you're a NYTimes "select" subscriber you should look up an article that David Brooks wrote a while back about this exact same thing.  The title was "Empty Nests, and Hearts."  Brooks' argument was sort of that the government should offer stipends of some kind so that all of us ladies would do the barefood in the kitchen thing and THEN go to grad school.  My mom sent it to me and I just about went into conniptions while I was trying to respond to her.  I think she does this just to get me worked up.  If you can find some of the responses that NYT got in the letters to the editor, those were pretty priceless, too.  There was one in particular that I cut and pasted as my mom and I went back and forth:

"I can't understand how is any sort of feasible tax or tuition credit is going to make a dent in future demographics. I would think that for an educated woman to seriously think about delaying a career, the figure would have to be in the tens of thousands, if not more. 'Oh great - a $400 check! I guess law school can wait!' Please."

Pretty much.  :)

dusya4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:57:58 PM »
So when kids are in school full time, does it mean that mothers should spend less time with them?

I join the sentiment in this thread that working in BigLaw and having a family is somewhat of a scary future prospect. I would like to have a child within the first two years after graduating LS. Not so much worried about the pregnancy period as the first few years after that. Hopefully, working in BigLaw, I'll at least be able to hire a nanny - a small relief but nonetheless.

All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XYHA4

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
Id be curious how many BigLaw firms hire women they know to be preggers or have small kids...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

h2xblive

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
Id be curious how many BigLaw firms hire women they know to be preggers or have small kids...

I'm sure the EEOC would like to know as well.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:04:39 PM »

hard to prove.

and to be quite honest, if i had to pick between two employees, and i know one was trying to get preggo, id avoid that one.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 04:49:39 PM »

hard to prove.

and to be quite honest, if i had to pick between two employees, and i know one was trying to get preggo, id avoid that one.

Which, of course, is against the law.
And pregnancy/motherhood =/= a bad employee.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 04:52:06 PM »

hard to prove.

Which, of course, is against the law.
And pregnancy/motherhood =/= a bad employee.

didnt say it did.  but all id be thinking, ans this is me as a small business owner, is i have to pay for someone thats not here AND a temp to do her job.