Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you going to buy one when you start school?

Yes (close to start of 1L)
33 (25%)
Yes but later on
28 (21.2%)
No
71 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Law School business cards

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Law School business cards
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2007, 05:54:27 AM »

But u wouldnt believe ppl's emails.  I kid you not-  my friend's email that she put on her resume  was:  finenubianass@--.com   I wanted to smack her.

:o  Stop the madness!  Did she really need you to tell her that this was not okay?    :-\

No joke.  Her screenname wasn't exactly that...I'm not gonna put her on blast by putting her real sn on here but yes, that was the overall gist of the sn.  But honestly, I couldnt even look @ her.  I was like (looking down @ my feet)"umm u might be wanting to change that". "But that's my main sn"   "Umm, Change it...it's free"

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
Having business cards does not make you a gunner.  Being the guy who says "What, you don't have business cards, I don't think you should even be allowed to talk to a partner.  Clearly you don't care about your career" makes you a gunner and a feminine hygiene product.  Just have them, be discreet when offering them, and don't flaunt it.  Business cards are visible in public for about 10 seconds at a time: when you hand it to the person you're talking to.

If the idea of a "business card" makes you feel presumptuous, consider getting cards like Daniel Ocean has in Ocean's Eleven, where it's just his name in a class font with some simple embossing.  You can then write any contact information or note you want to give to someone.  Classy, distinctive, understated, and they last forever too since your name changes pretty infrequently.

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »
I wonder if the horror at the thought of having business cards is coming from people right out of college.  If you haven't ever had them before, maybe they seem like a big deal or like you're making a statement of some kind?  I've had business cards for about six years or so, and to me they are just a convenient and professional way to give out your contact information and nothing more.  I think having business cards would make less of an impression than writing your info out on a sticky note for someone.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2007, 09:55:56 AM »
I'm not really understanding the argument against business cards.  What's the prob?

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »
Okay, that's valid.  You prolly will change your mind tho.  You will be attending law "firm nights" and other networking events and some employers are looking for some way of contacting you.  And all things being equal, if you dont have a business card handy and someone else does, that person looks more professional.  Don't give anyone else the edge over you. 

Plus, they're fairly cheap.  Go to Office Depot or a similar place.  Get a lot for a very cheap price.  So why not?  Just get them just in case-  once u start school.   Use your school's address-email address that they assign u on the cards-  easier for ppl to remember u that way.   

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »
Anyone giving a *&^% about being considered gunnerish needs a pair of balls anyway. It's your life, the other students are your competition and in less than 3 years none of them will mean *&^% to you.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »
So, essentially, you don't appreciate me at all?  :'(

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2007, 11:33:54 AM »
Anyone giving a *&^% about being considered gunnerish needs a pair of balls anyway. It's your life, the other students are your competition and in less than 3 years none of them will mean *&^% to you.

That's not exactly true bc on some level (think professionaly) you will rely on your formmer classmates for favors, and although you will have the bond that comes w/going to school together, if you were the most hated in your class you might find it harder.
IMHOP

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Anyone giving a sh*t about being considered gunnerish needs a pair of balls anyway. It's your life, the other students are your competition and in less than 3 years none of them will mean sh*t to you.
Actually they'll be the beginning of your professional network and will likely be the people best able to help you bring in business, either for yourself, or your firm, which the sooner and better you can do it, the better it is for your career.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
Anyone giving a sh*t about being considered gunnerish needs a pair of balls anyway. It's your life, the other students are your competition and in less than 3 years none of them will mean sh*t to you.
Actually they'll be the beginning of your professional network and will likely be the people best able to help you bring in business, either for yourself, or your firm, which the sooner and better you can do it, the better it is for your career.

How would my class mates be able to bring me business any better than I would myself? And why would my classmate working at Skadden help me get business at Shearman?