Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is South Bend really a *&^% hole???  (Read 634 times)

tdice7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is South Bend really a *&^% hole???
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:53:11 PM »
Open seeing the list of schools I am applying to, my dad laughed when he saw Notre Dame and told me if I end up there I'll want to kill myself. He says it was the worst town he's even been (and he grew up in the deep South).  This kind of bummed me out because ND was near the top of my list. Is he right or is their soemthing he's missing?
Touchdown (Accepted): Miami, Tulane, U. of Cincinatti, Indiana, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Emory, Arizona, Wisconsin, Washington U.in SL, Illinois,
Stopped For No Gain (WL): Vanderbilt, Michigan, Virginia, USC,
Sacked (Rejected): Boston College, Texas,
First and ten (waiting):

RainbowBrite

Re: Is South Bend really a sh*t hole???
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:58:18 PM »
My mom hates NYC. Is that stopping me from applying to schools there? (Hint: No)  Some people hate big cities. Some people hate small towns. ND as a school obviously had something going for it that you liked. Just because your dad didn't like South Bend doesn't mean you won't. At least visit the place before you condemn it. And even if it is a shithole, if you like the school who really cares? You'll get out of the experience whatever you put in. I'm sure there are some people who have amazing experiences at ND despite the small town drawbacks because they put in the effort.

dusya4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
South Bend is really not that bad. Some parts of it are actually quite charming.
All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XYHA4

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »
South Bend is really not that bad. Some parts of it are actually quite charming.

Has anybody told you that you look like that girl from Party of Five? lol. I just watched a VH1 "I love the 90's" the other day.

Also, to the OP, visit the campus and town. You may come to enjoy it.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

dusya4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 04:02:08 PM »

Has anybody told you that you look like that girl from Party of Five? lol. I just watched a VH1 "I love the 90's" the other day.

Nope, you are the first one.
All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XYHA4

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 08:41:45 AM »
I have to disagree about South Bend being a college town. It used to be an industrial town that became depressed when all the factories closed. That said, it is not nearly as bad now as it was 10 years ago because business is coming back and the town is being rejuvinated. Just check it out for yourself if you are not sure.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »
Some people don't think that a good town is one that has a bazillion chains. Honestly, the fewer the better. The college town post looks like it was deleted, but someone did mention it.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Is South Bend really a *&^% hole???
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:10:42 PM »
Eh...I've been to ND twice and I didn't particularly like South Bend that much...maybe because everywhere me and my friends went, white people would stare at us in shock  :-\
Columbia 3L