Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deciding between location and price  (Read 608 times)

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
Deciding between location and price
« on: August 07, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »
So I know I plan on living in Boston after graduation, but I currently live in Florida and was thinking of going to FSU (because of price of tuition)...should I be worried if I go there, that I will not find a job in the Boston area- How do I decide between location and tuition when there is a huge diff in price (9,000 compared to 33,000 a year) thanks

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding between location and price
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:27:39 AM »
I would think that it would be very hard to find a job in Boston coming from FSU.  If you KNEW you wanted to practice in Boston, it might be a better idea to just pay the extra $$$. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:20:38 AM »
Boston is a tough market to break into. You'd be better off taking a scholarship at Suffolk than going out of market.

I_Love_Iowa_City

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
This is one of the tougher questions to answer.  The numbers tend to indicate that you will have trouble finding work in Boston with a degree from FSU.  However, how many students attending FSU actually attempt to practice outside of Florida.  I would guess that not many have the intention of moving to Boston immediately following graduation.  That of course makes the numbers look terrible. 

It's a tough call, but if you have the option you're probably better off going to a school in Boston if your heart is set on practicing there.

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:08:25 PM »
thanks a lot..

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »
I don't think Boston is very likely straight out of FSU.  You could go to FSU and then work in FL for a while, then try to move laterally to a firm in Boston.  Emory might be your best bet for staying close to home but still trying for Boston, although Emory comes with a heafty price tag.  Are grants and scholarships out the question?  I got $$ from Emory, making it cost the same as a state school.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 11:20:11 PM »
You can, yes, but it will be a *lot* of legwork for you - don't expect too much help from career services - you will have to do much of the networking and such yourself.  Best thing to do is send resumes out to everyone and in your cover letter tell them of ties you have to the area.  It works even better if you apply in December and tell them not only you have ties, but you'll be in town for the Holidays.  Or .. you could make it easy on yourself and just go to a Boston-area school.