;

Author Topic: .  (Read 8200 times)

mjb

« on: August 07, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »

Lerting

• View Profile
Re: AA feelings..topic beaten to death.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »
I've seen many posts regarding this subject and typically the general subject is a great injustice to whites. "A URM got in to University of X and a white didn't even tho the minority had a lsat 3 points lower than the white!!". Lets for a second ignore that LSAT scores vary widely day to day. I've had an 11 point jump in a span of 3 days.

How was the whites upbringing? Do you think the white had major influences pushing him towards academia and achievement? In his family line were his grandparents forbidden from attaining a university level education? Many minorities back then were not allowed to go to a university. I don't know the exact statistics and numbers but I'd be willing to wager a lot of money that a person whos grandfather and parents have a college education have a higher chance of recieving one themselves.

Has this white person ever been refered to as spic or N-word or made to feel inferior about their racial background? The minority will feel out of place in a work or academic environment. I've been in a professional engineering meeting at a major engineering firm where my manager and other co-workers were making remarks that mexicans need to be shipped back to mexico. In this meeting there were 5 white people and 1 mexican(me). They made it very obvious that they viewed me as an inferior. How would this impact ones mindset? I've been asked at work if my parents are illegals and I always feel like I have to apologize for who I am. Is this common for a white person?

I'm in Massachusetts right now and I can only imagine how bad it is for a black person in the south.

Maybe an different analysis should be made. "You've been given every opportunity in the world to succeed and you only scored a 164 with a 3.5 whereas this URM had all the cards stacked against them and managed a 160 with a 3.4. You don't really deserve to get into X University."

boo hoo hoo. no ones making you stay. you can return to mexico city and eat fecal snow if you hate this place so much.

Lerting

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 12:15:37 PM »
the problem with AA is that it helps ALLL sorts of blacks, hispanics, and native americans.  even the rich ones.  even the ones that went to my 30,000 a year private school for high school AND middle school.  even the ones who's parents went to harvard.  even the ones who have a trust fund the size of rhode island. 

thats the problem with AA.  it helps too many people that don't deserve help.

What % of minority applicants is that? Very low. I'm certain race and upbringing are considered highly but the number of the trust fund baby minorities is very low :). This person also encounters the same racism in their work place or school that a white does not.

its not low. most urms that benefit are well off. as to your manager's comment he probably was referring to illegals. if you, the legal mexicans didn't support the right of numerous illegals to cross the border and live on the public dole then it wouldn't be a problem.

Lerting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:24:27 PM »
Neocons are always keen to toss the baby with the bathwater.

Demonstrating that a certain percentage of welfare recipients abuse the system -- which I do not contest -- is taken as ironclad justfication for axing the system, which of course I do contest.

So AA helps a rich black guy one time. So the hell what? On balance, it does its job.

Ignore these vicious fools.

That plus it's a huge, and probably unwarranted, assumption that rich black people haven't suffered from racism and should therefore be denied AA.

whites and asians are more likely to suffer from racism than blacks. deal with it.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:44:56 PM »
  When my parents came here from India they had to deal with SO much racism on so many different levels for more than just the color of their skin (but also inability to speak english well, no money, their race, etc.)  They didn't expect a single thing to be given to them that they had not rightfully deserved and they worked their way up from making minimum wage to being millionaires.  my point of sharing this is not to be like "hey check my parents out", but rather to explain where i'm coming from.  only in america do so many people expecting something for doing NOTHING. 

If you disagree with me thats fine, but do me a favor and don't get all heated in your response.  I'm on this site to talk about getting in law school and hopefully to have a good conversation or two while I'm at it.  that's all. 

Tutti....why couldn't your parents be millionaires in India???...and I don't mean this in a go back to your country sort of way...I just would like you to elaborate because you may have inadvertently stumbled on to a point that needs to be illuminated...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:01:07 PM »
You told me how they got here...but not how they came to be millionaires here...what I mainly want to get at is the reason why they couldn't accomplish that in India...
Grrr...

If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:29:05 PM »
i told myself i wasn't going to get involved in any of the AA conversations, but I guess I've done that.  When my parents came here from India they had to deal with SO much racism on so many different levels for more than just the color of their skin (but also inability to speak english well, no money, their race, etc.)  They didn't expect a single thing to be given to them that they had not rightfully deserved and they worked their way up from making minimum wage to being millionaires.  my point of sharing this is not to be like "hey check my parents out", but rather to explain where i'm coming from.  only in america do so many people expecting something for doing NOTHING. 

If you disagree with me thats fine, but do me a favor and don't get all heated in your response.  I'm on this site to talk about getting in law school and hopefully to have a good conversation or two while I'm at it.  that's all. 

Well...your earlier post made it seem like your parents came from nothing and prevailed...and therefore other races should be measured by this metric and found to be deserving or not...but if they came from a place chock full of millionaires then their accomplishments are nothing to wonder at...they are to be expected...
Grrr...

Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 01:18:30 AM »

There's a real disconnect in the anti-AA logic, wherein this fiction of lazy, good for nothing gangbangers with zero intellectual ability are admitted to Harvard, or wherever. It's ridiculous. HLS URM-AA admits likely represent the absolute top of the range from their background -- they are the ones who have consistently challenged, outperformed. They weren't competing against YOU, with your carefully-zoned schools and "cracking the LSAT" courses; but in the pool from whence they came, they were the absolute superstars.

I'm sure you intended to make that generalization for satirical purposes.  Or that strawman too, for that matter.

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 01:20:46 AM »
I think it is just to take all things into account when making decisions such as this. A single mother who raised a child while going to school with a 3.4/160 is more impressive than a typical 21-22 year old kid with a 3.6/162 to me. I don't think everything should be boiled down to a numbers game. :)

You're completely right, it shouldn't.  Unfortunately, AA is being applied so loosely that it pretty much is a numbers thing. 

Scholastically Challenged

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 01:48:23 AM »
only in america do so many people expecting something for doing NOTHING. 

And as you point out, this behavior rarely applies to immigrants or minorities. The real 'free ride' is given to upper class whites.

Trust me!

Do we have a Trust Fund Baby in our midst?

don't steal my *&^%.