Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Withdrew and Drinking Ticket  (Read 1275 times)

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Withdrew and Drinking Ticket
« on: February 08, 2004, 09:44:52 PM »
Hi all, I have two quick questions, and would appreciate any help. 

I withdrew (W/P) from classes for one semester due to the fact that I was supporting myself through school and working 50 hrs/week with full-time school was not working out.  I was hoping that someone would have some info on how much a typical school would weigh this.  I worked 40-50 hrs a week with a full course load for 2 semesters, reduced course load for 1, and 1 semester with no classes.  I am still graduating on time and will have a 3.4 UGPA (take LSATs in June). 

Also, I have had an expunction of a charge for underage possesion of alcohol.  Do I have to include this in the application if it asks "have you plead guilty...."  I was under the impression that if I filed for expunction, I did not have to report it. 

Again, any help is appreciated, Thanks!

3L

wolfman1977

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Withdrew and Drinking Ticket
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 11:31:37 PM »
Hey,

I wouldn't worry about withdrawing for a semester, especially if you were working that many hours.  I took off two semesters for full-time work and was suspended for another (drinking-related), and my apps are all good so far.  Just my 2 cents- maybe if you have your work supervisor write you a lor, you can thereby emphasize how responsible, indurstrious, etc. you are- that's what I did.  Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost positive you don't have to report something if it happend when you were a minor and you got it expunged. I'm sure the admissions ofice could tell you for sure- if you don't want them to know who you are, just put a handkerchief over your mounth when you talk to them on the phone :).  Hope this helps.

Bob Loblaw, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 12:57:28 PM »
wolfman, thanks i appreciate the advise.
3L

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 03:31:07 PM »
I agree with Wolfman about the withdrawing, but would offer a different opinion on the prior drinking issue.  Although you may not technically have to put that on your application, and the school may never find out anyway, you might want to put it on your application anyway.  Why you ask?  Well, after law school, when you apply to sit for the Bar exam in your state, you will have to admit that charge regardless of whether it occured when you were a minor, and regardless of whether it has been expunged.  The state bar will look at your law school application, and if they feel you were not forthcoming with the info, you may not pass the character and fitness test.  Usually, you are better off by being honest in the beginning.  There aren't many prior offenses that will keep you out of law school or from taking the bar exam, but being dishonest keeps people out every year!!!  For example, in Ohio, there was a man admitted to the bar after being convicted of manslaughter several years ago. That same year, another man was not allowed to take the bar after he was not forthcoming about a misdemeanor charge! 

Thus, I agree with wolfman in that you should call the school you are thinking of applying to.  If they say you don't have to admit it, then document when you called, who you talked to, etc.  This will help you three years from now when you have to apply for the bar.

Jason