Law School Discussion

jwd03

« on: August 06, 2006, 11:58:29 AM »

check01

I can say from observation, though not personal experience, that a military background is a plus for admissions, service academies are a big plus, and it seems being a pilot would overcome your GPA -- those are extremely competitive jobs, and the Navy obviously thought you were something special.

Regarding your study plan, I think you planning WAY too much time for studying. Doing 30-35 hours for a month won't be necessary -- believe me, by the last month you'll be in a groove and know what's coming.  The biggest time suck in the last month is not "studying" but rather doing full timed practice tests to build stamina so you can concentrate hard across all five hours you're there.

As for what to do between now and the start of the Powerscore class, I'd recommend two things:

1. Take a completely cold but strictly timed diagnostic test to see where you are. You may have done this but didn't mention your score. If your cold score is 165 you will follow a different plan than if it is 145.

2. Get the bibles and go through them carefully (though not necessarily doing all of the problems) as soon as possible. You may find that all you need is in the books and shelling out the money isn't necessary. That also turns class time into study time.

Good luck!

How much prep time you should set aside, at least in my opinion, would be mostly determined by how much you need to improve your practice scores.  If you take a prep test and are scoring where you want to be then I would think you wouldn't have to spend a whole lot of time each week studying.  Just enough to keep it all sharp in your mind.  If you're like me and have to raise your score from the depths of hell then you will need more time each week.  In my humble opinion, I think your plan is feasible.  If you score lower than you want you can always take it over.

I agree with the other posters.  You have plenty of time.  One piece of advice I'd offer is if you can start a class sooner, do it.  You want the learning curve to be early in your study process so that you can spend the time right before the test taking as many previously administered LSATs as possible.  Others may disagree, but I feel that I saw the most dramatic improvement when I dedicated more and more time to taking previously administered LSATs vs. other studying.