Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will new ABA LSAT reporting policy affect next year's USNEWS rankings?  (Read 3703 times)

dreamsdeferred

• View Profile
I've heard that the policy requiring schools to report the highest LSAT versus the average score doesn't take effect until 2007.

Does this mean that next year's USNWR rankings will still reflect LSAT averages?

dreamsdeferred

• View Profile
Re: Will new ABA LSAT reporting policy affect next year's USNEWS rankings?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »
Actually, no.

USNWR's rankings depend on the data that schools report. 

So I guess I'd like to know whether schools will be reporting only the highest LSAT this year (instead reporting the averages).

I've heard that the policy requiring schools to report the highest LSAT versus the average score doesn't take effect until 2007.

Does this mean that next year's USNWR rankings will still reflect LSAT averages?

Repeat after me: USNWR can do whatever the hell it wants.  USNWR can do whatever the hell it wants.  USNWR can do whatever the hell it wants.

dreamsdeferred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »
Actually, no.

USNWR gets some data directly from schools (e.g., financial figures), but not all the data they use in the rankings.  USNWR gets LSAT data from the ABA.  In any case, if schools only report the highest scores instead of the averages, USNWR is stuck with those figures.

Again, the question is whether schools will report the highest lsat score this year.

Actually, no.

USNWR gets its data from the ABA.  The ABA gets its data from schools.  If schools only report the highest LSAT to the ABA this year (instead of the average), that's what USNWR will go by as well (since USNWR won't have access to any other figures). 

So I guess I'd like to know whether schools will be reporting only the highest LSAT to the ABA this year (instead reporting the averages).

Actually, no.  USNWR gets its data directly from law schools.  It's self-reported.

Again, repeat after me: USNWR can do whatever the hell it wants.

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bringing Sweet Forcelike Justice Beginning '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
Actually, No.

I just wanted to say that.

Carry on!
Have you ever considered the practical benefits of force lightning at a barbecue?

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bringing Sweet Forcelike Justice Beginning '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:14:27 AM »
You have to leave them up, if only for that last, great 'fuckwit'. Classic.
Have you ever considered the practical benefits of force lightning at a barbecue?

spud1987

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
Actually, no.

USNWR gets some data directly from schools (e.g., financial figures), but not all the data they use in the rankings.  USNWR gets LSAT data from the ABA.  In any case, if schools only report the highest scores instead of the averages, USNWR is stuck with those figures.

Again, the question is whether schools will report the highest lsat score this year.

In the recent past USNWR used self-reported unverifiable median data.  Then they switched to calculating the midpoint between the verifiable 25th and 75th percentiles (verifiable because that was data that the ABA collected).  My understanding is that the ABA has since switched to collecting median data of its own--correct?

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/slight_change_i.html

In any case USNWR's past willingness to use information it deems important even if the ABA does not collect that information supports my claim that "USNWR can do whatever the hell it wants to."  It has done so in the past, after all.  Ergo, if it wants to continue to use averages, it will do so, even if schools report only the highest scores to the ABA.

Fuckwit.

If schools report their info directly to USNWR than wouldn't they give them the higher scores.  Why would the schools put themselves at a disadvantage by reporting the average scores to USNWR while reporting the highest scores to ABA.  Also, if schools report the higher score to USNWR and ABA than how would USNWR know the average score. 

One more thing, the effect on the ABA change won't be reflected in USNWR rankings until 2008 because for next years ranking they will be using the 2006-07 matriculating class data. 

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:40:58 PM »
I think law schools will be pretty smart about this. When admitting students they will look at all of their scores. But when reporting their data they will only report the highest score.

stc34

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 04:44:57 PM »
I think law schools will be pretty smart about this. When admitting students they will look at all of their scores. But when reporting their data they will only report the highest score.

Ok, but consider this.  One applicant has a 164 and a 168.  Another applicant has only one score, a 166.  All else is equal.  The school would probably take the one with an average of 166 because it is to the school's advantage.

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »

Ok, but consider this.  One applicant has a 164 and a 168.  Another applicant has only one score, a 166.  All else is equal.  The school would probably take the one with an average of 166 because it is to the school's advantage.

I agree that this is the (unfortunate) outcome of the ABA's new policy. Whatever will get them a higher average for USNWR's calculations is going to to be what flies.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 05:54:28 PM »

That's what i was thinking too. They will consider both of the scores when admitting the student- that is they may compare him to someone who simply has a 168, and all else being equal will probably pick the one with a single 168. However, i agree that in your case they'd pick the guy with the average score just because they can simply report a 168.