Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Survey  (Read 1223 times)

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Laptop Survey
« on: August 05, 2006, 02:09:34 AM »
A few questions:

1) What model did you purchase and why?
2) How much did it cost you?  Did you receive any kind of a discount?
3) Have you used the computer yet?  If so, are you satisfied with your decision?

Just trying to form a better idea of what I ought to buy--thanks in advance!

Strong

Re: Laptop Survey
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »
I got one of these with a custom backpack:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I don't care what the people around me say.

Buzz619

• I am probably the youngest one in the Revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »
1. MacBook Pro (2 GHz)
2. $0.00 I received it as a replacement from Apple when my Powerbook finally crapped out for the last time. I love Applecare.
3. Yes, I am satisfied, though if I were to buy a new computer, I would have opted for the smaller MacBook, was also considering Lenovo Tablet.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
I am leaning towards dell XPS just because it is light and small - I also liked Toshiba's new stuff, my sis just got one. I really love the Toshiba Protege too, but its a bit underpowered for what I want (though its the most ultra-portable computer out there).
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 01:53:57 PM »
1) Dell Inspiron 6400, Intel Core Duo processor T2050 (2MB/1.60GHz/533MHz); 1G RAM, 80G Hard drive, a/b/g/bluetooth wireless, 3-year service plan.  Found it on http://www.notebookreview.com/deals/ and bought it because I could customize it to have the things I wanted without paying for things I didn't, and I felt it was the best deal - plus my school's IT department supports Dell onsite as part of the service plan.
2) $883 plus tax after instant rebates (no mail-in required)
3) No, and honestly I'm a little nervous.  I've been using Thinkpads for the past 6 years (provided by my job) and I love them; I just couldn't justify the extra expense, plus having to jump through more hoops for service, especially in my school's small town.  But I have the support plan, so I really have very little to be worried about.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

joe_q

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 03:49:58 PM »
1. ibm-lenovo x60s - L2400 1.66ghz; super light, dependable reputation, and battery life like no other; downside so far: small backspace key and no touchpad (latter isn't so bad)

2. about $1500 before tax with free shipping; regular retail was $2000, but i got the ibm employee discount

3. yes i have.  i am satisfied, minus mainly the shrunken backspace key; there is a lot of installed software that raises the running processes count, but i think that is the case with most laptops.  overall, it is good times.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »
1) What model did you purchase and why?
Thinkpad X60s.  I originally wanted a tablet but I was unhappy with the non-Thinkpad tablets and the current Thinkpad tablet was a little too underpowered for my tastes.  I shifted into looking at light, portable laptops.  I liked the X60s' size, weight, and battery life; I also liked Thinkpad performance, reliability, and their keyboards.  I tried one out when I was in China and I was sold on it.  I also *HATE* touchpads and the pointing stick is a big plus for me

2) How much did it cost you?  Did you receive any kind of a discount?
The machine itself was  $1,338.35 with the EPP discount.  I also bought a floppy drive, an extra AC adapter, a slim battery for the machine, 2GB of memory, and the three year onsite accidental protection.  After shipping and tax it all came to $2,091.22

3) Have you used the computer yet?  If so, are you satisfied with your decision?
I've been using it since June.  I got it setup with all the software I want/need for school.  I'm really happy with the machine.  It's light, it's sturdy, the battery lasts an obscenely long time, and it packs a great deal of performance into a small computer.  I don't think I could ask for a better machine...although it would have been nice to have the new Intel mobile processor that's coming, I realize that technology marches on.

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far--I appreciate your feedback immeasurably.  Here's the package I'm considering going with:

Inspiron B130, 15.4''
IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor 735 (1.70GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
Windows XP Home Edition (Office software not included)
512MB DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm
40GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
IntelŪ PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps7)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Cost: $539, which seems incredibly low

Is this as good a deal as it seems?

Don't expect it to last long.  The Inspiron line is the consumer line... I wouldn't go near it.  Look at the latitudes.

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 12:16:30 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far--I appreciate your feedback immeasurably.  Here's the package I'm considering going with:

Inspiron B130, 15.4''
IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor 735 (1.70GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
Windows XP Home Edition (Office software not included)
512MB DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm
40GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
IntelŪ PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps7)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Cost: $539, which seems incredibly low

Is this as good a deal as it seems?

Don't expect it to last long.  The Inspiron line is the consumer line... I wouldn't go near it.  Look at the latitudes.

<trying to look at latitudes>
Where should I start looking?

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 03:29:04 AM »
I got my Latitude from the Dell online Outlet.

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22

They have a variety of laptops available. From scratch and dent to refurbished to "previously ordered new". It's worth a look. I figure that I saved about $400 on the laptop I bought compared with retail.