Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ouch - Minorty women screwed at firms...  (Read 5782 times)

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch - Minorty women screwed at firms...
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 02:14:12 PM »
Right, what law firm isn't looking for ways to increase minorities at all levels of the firm these days? The results of this 'study' are partially a byproduct af AA in law school admissions accepting lesser qualified applicants, and then those applicants being hired upon graduation just because they went to a top school and are a female minority. And it is just plain hard for anyone to move up at a law firm and get good assignments, not just minority women. How many leave to have children? How many leave on their own accord?    

That's true, but that doesn't justify further increasing the difficulty for these female lawyers at a chance for advancement

Not only that, but some of the other things going on at those firms are things that are so blatantly racist I would think "leaving on their own accord" would be a little tainted.  How easy would it really be to stay if one of the partners at your firm left a message on your voice mail "speaking gibberish, trying to sound like an Asian speaker."  I got that kind of phone call from drunken frat boys when I was in college.  I certainly wouldn't expect to have to deal with it from a colleague in an educated profession.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5613964

h2xblive

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
Right, what law firm isn't looking for ways to increase minorities at all levels of the firm these days? The results of this 'study' are partially a byproduct af AA in law school admissions accepting lesser qualified applicants, and then those applicants being hired upon graduation just because they went to a top school and are a female minority. And it is just plain hard for anyone to move up at a law firm and get good assignments, not just minority women. How many leave to have children? How many leave on their own accord?    

That's true, but that doesn't justify further increasing the difficulty for these female lawyers at a chance for advancement

Not only that, but some of the other things going on at those firms are things that are so blatantly racist I would think "leaving on their own accord" would be a little tainted.  How easy would it really be to stay if one of the partners at your firm left a message on your voice mail "speaking gibberish, trying to sound like an Asian speaker."  I got that kind of phone call from drunken frat boys when I was in college.  I certainly wouldn't expect to have to deal with it from a colleague in an educated profession.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5613964

Where did you go to school?

h2xblive

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 02:17:54 PM »
What's your opinion about all of this, blue?  Any proposals to improve the situation?

i doubt i will ever be a hirerer, so it doesnt matter to much.

but im always pro women!

How ironic would that be if you went into labor law?

Def something ive considered.

and what people dont seem to realize is, there are only so many top positions.  and the people in them dont give them up often.

so, it will prob take a few generations b4 you start seeing more women in higher positions of power.

That's not the point here, blue.  As long as everyone in the law firm is given an equal chance at a promotion, networking, getting clients, etc. this whole situations wouldn't be an issue.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
im starting to think im really odd, cause i just dont see the need to be racist...

after all, as a buniess man, you should see people as either green or not.

can they make me $$$, or no.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 02:20:29 PM »
What's your opinion about all of this, blue?  Any proposals to improve the situation?

i doubt i will ever be a hirerer, so it doesnt matter to much.

but im always pro women!

How ironic would that be if you went into labor law?

Def something ive considered.

and what people dont seem to realize is, there are only so many top positions.  and the people in them dont give them up often.

so, it will prob take a few generations b4 you start seeing more women in higher positions of power.

That's not the point here, blue.  As long as everyone in the law firm is given an equal chance at a promotion, networking, getting clients, etc. this whole situations wouldn't be an issue.

i doubt its ever that ez.  nepotism alone would prob take up most of the partner positions...

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 02:22:41 PM »
and for those about to hassle me, if i ever had a firm of my own, id ONLY hire female lawyers  ;D

hubba hubba

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 09:53:03 AM »

h2xblive

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 10:01:28 AM »
It just surprises me that those types of actions, not matter how infrequent, still go on at that level.

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »
Believe me, it surprised me, too.  I still vividly remember getting off the phone and almost laughing in disbelief.  Ultimately I decided this is what I get for having the last funny-lookin' name in the directory.  I was a crime of opportunity more than anything else I think.  ;)  Wished I had caller ID so I could have called them back (and the balls to do so...).  Now that would have been interesting.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »
Believe me, it surprised me, too.  I still vividly remember getting off the phone and almost laughing in disbelief.  Ultimately I decided this is what I get for having the last funny-lookin' name in the directory.  I was a crime of opportunity more than anything else I think.  ;)  Wished I had caller ID so I could have called them back (and the balls to do so...).  Now that would have been interesting.

umm, if your a girl, would you EVER have the balls to do so?  ;D