Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Salary of Canadian Lawyers?  (Read 4398 times)

Re: Salary of Canadian Lawyers?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »
I believe BigLaw base salaries in Canada are something like this:
Toronto- 88-95k
Calgary- 70-85k
Vancouver- 70-80k
Ottawa- 60-72k
Montreal- ??

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 06:05:43 AM »
It would ne nice to quote a source for these numbers. Or is it just rumor? And the rumors I've heard about salaries for U de M grads are not flattering.
Penn (2007)

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »
These were only estimates, for first year associate salary(after articling).  Check around lawbuzz.ca.  I'm pretty sure those numbers a accurate to within a couple thousand, I forgot what the Sister firms in Toronto are paying now, but its either right around 90 or right around 100.  Stikeman and Farris both start around 80 in Vancouver.  I believe BLG started at 67 in Ottawa 2 years ago.  The Calgary range might be slightly off, but its basically a little lower than TO and a little higher than Vancouver.  Ottawa and Vancouver are the worst deals in terms of salary, especially considering COL.

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 03:49:16 AM »
Is anyone planning on taking a dual llb/jd proram, like the one offered at U of T?
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »
I thought Osgoode was the only one that offered LLB/JD. U of Toronto only offers JD because they require more undergraduate studies before admitting to law school although most students have an undergraduate degree to begin with.

Anyways, the Osgoode LLB/JD is with NYU. But you need to be admitted to both Osgoode and NYU. And if you can get into NYU, well, as a Canadian, I don't think you'd go to Osgoode then. The benefit I can see is that you can attend NYU for one year while paying Osgoode Tuition. Not sure how your JD compares to other JDs from ABA approved schools.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 12:00:13 PM »
oh interesting...my academic advisor is a flaming idiot then...
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
I received some flyers from Michigan State offering a JD in conjunction with U of Ottawa (I believe). So Osgoode-NYU would not be the only one.

Edit: found the link
http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-multi-llb.html
Penn (2007)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »
I received some flyers from Michigan State offering a JD in conjunction with U of Ottawa (I believe). So Osgoode-NYU would not be the only one.

Edit: found the link
http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-multi-llb.html

Ottawa also offers the same joint program with American University. 
University of Windsor and University of Detroit Mercy also have a program where you attend both concurrently and get a JD and an LLB in just 3 years. 
Columbia offers a 4 year JD/LLB with the University of London, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to practice in Canada with a British LLB or how you'd do it.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 04:48:11 PM »
Yeah, you can.  I'm not quite sure how it works, but it's not too much extra work, except for the fact that you'd have to write the local bar exams and wait to be called to the bar.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 05:12:06 PM »
I thought Osgoode was the only one that offered LLB/JD. U of Toronto only offers JD because they require more undergraduate studies before admitting to law school although most students have an undergraduate degree to begin with.

Anyways, the Osgoode LLB/JD is with NYU. But you need to be admitted to both Osgoode and NYU. And if you can get into NYU, well, as a Canadian, I don't think you'd go to Osgoode then. The benefit I can see is that you can attend NYU for one year while paying Osgoode Tuition. Not sure how your JD compares to other JDs from ABA approved schools.

The degree from U of T is the exact same as a LLB, and is not an ABA-approved JD.  They voted to change the name a few years back, and other schools in Canada seem to be considering doing the same thing.  A U of T JD does not provide the same oppurtunities as an American JD, but will allow you to sit for the bar in MA and NY, just like the LLB does.  As for joint-degree programs, there is Ottawa-American, Ottawa-MSU, Osgoode-NYU (must be admitted seperately by both schools), and Windsor-Detroit Mercy.