Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for 170+.... prep materials needed?  (Read 1178 times)

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
Looking for 170+.... prep materials needed?
« on: August 18, 2004, 05:35:41 PM »
Just wondering, I have all the books, LG bible, LR bible (which I just got today in the mail), Princeton, Kaplan, Nova, etc. etc.   I havent really looked at them much but average about 1-2 games questions wrong and 4-6 LR questions (both sections included).  Is anyone in a similar boat and scoring about 170?  If so, would you recommend thoroughly going through this stuff or just taking tons of preptests?  The thing that really bothers me is that the LR bible uses lots of real LSAT questions, and I want to save them for practice when I do complete exams...  Any advice would be great.  Thanks!  :)

sgqx

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for 170+.... prep materials needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 06:09:06 PM »
I suggest you to practice as many tests as possible.  Overall, tests are becoming more difficult these years.  You've done a good job already, and Princeton, Kaplan, Nova, etc. etc. are just for green hands, not for you. LRB and LGB, however, are good for you to clarify some thoughts.  I skip the recent real questions used in LRB.  After I finished all the tests, I will look through LRB again. I love this book.

I heard Kaplan 180 is good for people who want get 170+. You might look at that one, if you have time.  The questions in 180 are fake, but they just mimic some challenging real questions. 

Anyhow, your practice scores are very good!  You will have a good job on real test.  Good luck! For me, I still have a long way to go to get 170+. ;D

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 06:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice!   :)

I'm sure you'll do great too!  Good luck!

KareBear

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kare516
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »
Reading through LR Bible... it's pretty good.  I haven't discovered anything earth shattering, but I think it will help me move faster through the exam and thus give me more time to work on the one or two questions that always manage to leave me completely flustered.

Maryanne - how was LG Bible?

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
eh, didnt look through it thorougly actually.  felt like it was asking me to do too many things, write everything out, draw mini diagrams all over the place, etc. etc. so figured i was doing fine on my own.  i did pick up on their suggestion of writing things in blocks.  :)

DouperLou

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »
Yes, the LGB has some things that it is very strong about doing (or not doing) and then some things that it takes a "whatever works for you" attitude. I carefully read their suggests but didn't do any of the practice problems they used since they were taken from actual tests and i figured i'd get to them sooner or later.

-lou

sgqx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 06:56:22 PM »
LGB is just so so to me.  Sometimes, I have a better strategy to attack some games. ;D

DouperLou

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 07:03:38 PM »
I use it as more of a guide. On my last practice test i missed one question on the first 3 games combined and then blew the last game - missed 5 out of 6. As it happens LGB used this as a sample, and I just glanced at how they diagrammed it and that was all i needed. I didn't read any more and immediately went back and re-worked that game. Got 'em all right. That is how LRB can be useful, or at least has been useful to me.

-lou