Law School Discussion

Where are all the suckers?

yiplong

• View Profile
Where are all the suckers?
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »
From the discussions on this board and on XOXO, it looks like if one is not in T14, or top 1/4 of a good tier1, or top 10% of a tier2, or top 10% AND law review at a tier3, he is doomed to the purgatory of government job or unemployment. 
If this is true, then at least 70% of all law school grads will either have very lower paying jobs, or no job at all.  So where are all these 'suckers'?  Why don't they make themselves more visible?   

Re: Where are all the suckers?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 11:36:14 AM »
Agreed

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:17:19 PM »
From the discussions on this board and on XOXO, it looks like if one is not in T14, or top 1/4 of a good tier1, or top 10% of a tier2, or top 10% AND law review at a tier3, he is doomed to the purgatory of government job or unemployment. 
If this is true, then at least 70% of all law school grads will either have very lower paying jobs, or no job at all.  So where are all these 'suckers'?  Why don't they make themselves more visible?   

Maybe because that isn't true?  XOXO and a certain few posters here seem to think that if you're not clerking for a federal judge or working in a BigLaw firm, you must be making $40K a year and barely making loan payments.  That's simply not the case.  Sure, you might not be making six figures, but there are plenty of non-big law jobs that offer decent salaries, oppertunities for advancement, and stimulating work, which don't require incredible academic achievement.  Legal employment is not an all or nothing proposition.

If someone is say about 35% at a tier one, doing a specialty journal or moot court, got some experience during the summers, and can only get a very low level government job, then they didn't look hard enough, didn't do enough leg work, or never changed their goals based on what doors were still open.  There's plenty out there, you just have to go find it and not assume that your grades or OCI will find it for you.

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »

Shame, pure and simple.  Plus, many of them have killed selves, due to the aforementioned shame.

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 12:40:29 PM »

???

Actually, many of the people busting their asses are very interested in working in government.

Of course, not all government jobs are created equal...

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »
Plus many of the people that end up at a T4 school never become dedicated enough to find LSD or LSN... I know I wouldn't have if I hadn't googled law/lawyer/lawschool/etc...  and researched a lot.

I would say most people out there say to themselves.. "I want to go to law school"  Then they go to either a prelaw advisor or Barnes and Noble and get one of those "how to get into law school books"  But not the good LSD recommended ones.  

Then they apply like a month before apps are due in the spring... and they apply just to the schools that are in their city or state thinking all law schools are about the same.  

I know when I took my testmasters class i asked everyone if they had heard of LSD and 100% of them said no.. there were about 30 of them to.  

There was this one girl that said.. I was told that all you have to do is take a class and you will do fine on the LSAT.

Now we all know that JUST taking a class does not get you a good score.  Hard work does.  

And on June 12th the last LSAT, I asked the people in the lobby if they had taken a prep course.  ALL of the people that I asked took Kaplan.  They probably had done the same for the SATs.  They said that they thought it was the best.  

Many people are just uninformed about the app process and how to be successful.  The ones that really care, are on LSD IMO

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:59:14 PM »

???

Actually, many of the people busting their asses are very interested in working in government.

Of course, not all government jobs are created equal...

Sorry, maybe I should have said, low paying govt. job

aaaa

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »
what's the point here?  you want a cookie for getting in to the T14, yiplong? 

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:15:44 PM »
Many of these suckers will be the bosses of people who went to T14.  I work for a guy who barely scraped through U of South Carolina, and he makes more than $500K.  Not multi millions, but a few steps away from unemployment.  I know bunches of people with degrees from UPenn and Cornell who work for a guy who went to Seton Hall (all around the same age - we're not talking just normal seniority here).

The job you start out with is not the job you may end up with.  The LSAT doesn't do a good job of measuring your abilities in reading juries, in handling a tough CEO as in-house counsel, or in your ability to make basic judgment calls.

And that's a big problem with a lot of the people on the boards - the choice is put as either BigLaw, or low paying government.  There are 500 members of the Fortune 500, and every single one of them has a legal department.  PLUS they get home before 2 in the morning.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 03:27:45 PM »
You're entirely missing the main poitn of this thread.