Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 147-----> 168 possible?  (Read 2193 times)

SBToLaw

Re: 147-----> 168 possible?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »
168 ---> 147 is possible, with apathy and some rum.

And paint thinner and hash.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »
On the LSAT score, are you taking a prep class? I took Testmasters and it was invaluable. Powerscore and Testmasters are two of the best. Our TM teacher told us about how in his opinion there are a few types of test takers as far as improvement is concerned. 1) Those who get a low diag and never improve because they are just not smart enough, 2) Those who improve alot on the second diag, after some training, but then plateau, and 3) Those wo improve a little bit each time.

I saw this first hand and it was crazy! The girl next to me got a 147 on the diag, then a 158, 157, 159 and a 159 on the actual test. Another girl got in the 149 ball park and never got any higher! I got a 146 and then a 156, 154, 156 and ended up with a 155 on test day.

I do not want to discourage you, but in hindsight I honestly believe that 160 was probably the highest I could have ever gotten, on a good day. Improvement is extremely hard the higher you go, and no matter how 'good' I felt I did I kept getting the same ball park score because of the nature of the test. Out of 60 students, we only has approx 8 break 160 and only 1-2 get in the high 160s/low 170s.

I hope you are one of those few though!  
I don't know, i started with a mere 153 and climbed my way up to 170's. Of course i'm waiting till Sept to take the test and obviously i could f up majorily, but i think that it is quite feasible to get a high score even if you started out low. It just depends on how much you're willing to work.

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 03:24:20 PM »
it does not take long to study. Just take a bunch of test everyday.

The studying part is only a couple of weeks. The hard part is learning from the test u do.

JoeGibbsRedskins

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 03:34:19 PM »
On the LSAT score, are you taking a prep class? I took Testmasters and it was invaluable. Powerscore and Testmasters are two of the best. Our TM teacher told us about how in his opinion there are a few types of test takers as far as improvement is concerned. 1) Those who get a low diag and never improve because they are just not smart enough, 2) Those who improve alot on the second diag, after some training, but then plateau, and 3) Those wo improve a little bit each time.

I saw this first hand and it was crazy! The girl next to me got a 147 on the diag, then a 158, 157, 159 and a 159 on the actual test. Another girl got in the 149 ball park and never got any higher! I got a 146 and then a 156, 154, 156 and ended up with a 155 on test day.

I do not want to discourage you, but in hindsight I honestly believe that 160 was probably the highest I could have ever gotten, on a good day. Improvement is extremely hard the higher you go, and no matter how 'good' I felt I did I kept getting the same ball park score because of the nature of the test. Out of 60 students, we only has approx 8 break 160 and only 1-2 get in the high 160s/low 170s.

I hope you are one of those few though!  

thats bogus. Some people before the first test have not even seen a LSAT game in their life. How could they solve the problems?

Maybe after the second test , those people that have not improved  mayvbe have no shot.

SBToLaw

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 03:43:37 PM »
This was my situation.  I had literally never seen a logic game so I was BAFFled...didn't know how to diag it, how to make inferences, etc.  I only completed 1 game in the given time and guessed on the remaining 19 questions.

On my second timed test I finished 3 games, got 14/19 or so (maybe 13...not sure) on the games I did complete--not superb, but a significant improvement--and guessed on one game, managing to get 2/6 correct.  Needless to say, I learned a lot about how to execute games in the 5 days it took me to read the LGB, and I feel like I have the capacity to make further gains through banging out more games.

Anne Shirley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:50:20 PM »
I agree with Lonewolf.  For some, it does take time to learn everything you need to do well on the test.  I didn't see a huge jump in my score for a number of months.  I took the Testmasters course for the June test, but after the first diag (146), I knew I wouldn't take the test in June.  By October I was scoring in the mid-high 160's.  That was not the score I wanted so I postponed the morning of the October test.  It just didn't feel like the right time.

I waited until December and, again, I'm glad I did (170).  I had my apps pretty much ready to go on the LSAC site, but I hadn't sent them off yet.  When I saw my score in December, I vacillated for awhile, trying to decide whether to apply last cycle or wait. 

I waited, and I'm glad I did because now things feel less stressful.  I'll have my apps out as soon as schools start accepting them.  I'm even considering retaking in December to maximize my chances at some of my top choices.  I figure studying may take my mind off of the waiting game.

Anyway, OP, you can increase your score.  I honestly think, if I'd known I would wind up waiting until this year, I could have taken the test in February and scored even higher. 

Also, you may be able to see a bigger score increase sooner than I did.  I had to make time to study around my full time job and my two kids who were two years old at the time. You may have more time to dedicate to your studies.

SLS 2010

JES

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 09:22:08 PM »
I studied a total of 120 hours in 2 1/2 months, including Testmasters classes and practice tests. I wish I could have studied one more month to master the logic games. You should approach it as if you will hit 168 if you study hard and take practice tests because many people have accomplished that and you have a shot at it. In hindsight, I got into my target school so it is best that I didn't waste one more month! My point earlier was simply that everyone cannot acheive a high 160s or 170+ on this test. The fact that other posters here have done it should be reassuring, but at the same time they managed to get close to the top 10% of LSAT scores. Good luck!   

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »
Definitely doable.  Me:  146 ------> 170 (December '05).  

How many total hours did you study, including TM?
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 02:46:28 PM »
I went from like a 152 ---> 167, so it's definitly not impossible. Good luck!
Penn Law '09

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 11:28:13 PM »
Sondra, I sent you a PM.  :D
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)