4 (21.1%)
Basketweaving (Folklor Minor)
 3 (15.8%)
schools don't care & neither do i
 3 (15.8%)
leave it for the resume
 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: majors & minors  (Read 1885 times)

lexylit

majors & minors
« on: August 18, 2004, 04:27:58 PM »
just curious-- thanks for humoring me

nathanielmark

Re: majors & minors
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 04:29:46 PM »
i would not list minor under major, even with a qualifier. i have mine on my resume, probably amounts to nothing.

egg

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 04:45:03 PM »
I'm not listing mine anywhere on the application- it's on my transcript if they want to see it (I believe that listing your minor on your resume is customarily optional based on its relevance to the position for which you're applying; mine is less relevant than basketweaving).

Separate but related issue (sorry if this is a minor hijack, lexy [hey, pun!])- are you folks putting your undergrad college GPA on your resumes? They already have that bit of information several times over, and it feels a little odd to include it after being out of school for a while.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 04:54:34 PM »
Does your question assume that Folklore is a minor in all the answer choices?  I selected Basketweaving; Folklore on the assumption that those are two separate majors, and that's how I'm listing my two separate majors.  Although now I think I have to list them separately, because my thesis advisor decided not to turn in my grade until AFTER the deadline for my Classics degree, which was BEFORE the deadline for my Political Science degree, forcing me to apply for a second baccalaureate.  So now I'm less of a double major and more of a returning student.  So screwed up.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »
Does your question assume that Folklore is a minor in all the answer choices?  I selected Basketweaving; Folklore on the assumption that those are two separate majors, and that's how I'm listing my two separate majors.  Although now I think I have to list them separately, because my thesis advisor decided not to turn in my grade until AFTER the deadline for my Classics degree, which was BEFORE the deadline for my Political Science degree, forcing me to apply for a second baccalaureate.  So now I'm less of a double major and more of a returning student.  So screwed up.

ew! sorry, that sucks  >:(
i was asking about major/minor, yes. in fact my friend minored in folklore at upenn & loved it  :D
for a doublemajor, i would put both

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 05:22:18 PM »

ew! sorry, that sucks  >:(
i was asking about major/minor, yes. in fact my friend minored in folklore at upenn & loved it  :D
for a doublemajor, i would put both

Folklore would be a really cool minor.  Did that friend major in basketweaving?  :)

I'm listing both majors, but on separate lines since I have different "degree deferred" dates for them.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

Ginatio

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »
basketweaving... psha... everyone knows all the money is in advanced underwater basketweaving... amateurs

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 05:28:19 PM »
I'm listing both majors, but on separate lines since I have different "degree deferred" dates for them.

she majored in photo, or maybe it's just called studio art. her final project involved a lot of pictures of her friends with one random naked body part, like 8 guys in suits and a bare breast, or 2 people having lunch and a random naked ass. clearly i'm oversimplifying  ;)

she now works for penn!

also she ran into jason schwartzmann and they got into like  3-hour conversation about studying folklore

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 05:44:14 PM »

she majored in photo, or maybe it's just called studio art. her final project involved a lot of pictures of her friends with one random naked body part, like 8 guys in suits and a bare breast, or 2 people having lunch and a random naked ass. clearly i'm oversimplifying  ;)

she now works for penn!

also she ran into jason schwartzmann and they got into like  3-hour conversation about studying folklore

That sounds like a fun project :)

My roommate was a stuio arts minor.  For her senior project, she bought a mannequin torso which she used as a mold, then used her collection of torsos to illustrate decomposition and exploration and some other seemingly unrelated themes.  It got a little creepy having torsos laying around the apartment...

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 11:06:45 PM »
Don't list your minor unless they ask for it. You can put it on your resume, but minors are absolutely worthless so it won't matter either way.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor